What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, everyone.

I'm Caleb from Atlanta, GA, a city planner with a secret passion for bug-eating plants :) I've been lurking on here for a while, but have not formally introduced myself, so I'm doing so now.

I've been into CP since around the third grade, when I did a report on venus fly traps. In the decades since then, my collecting has come and gone - mostly gone. Then, when I moved to Atlanta 10 years ago, and made a trip to the Atlanta Botanical Garden and saw their beautiful collection, something re-awakened in me. I've been an urban hobbyist ever since.

My collection here has done much better than in my home state of Vermont, most likely due to the climate and an increased understanding on my part of what it takes to grow CPs. My growing conditions are unique, to say the least. I live in a mid-rise building, but am fortunate enough to have a small balcony space. Sadly, the light in this location is limited to around 3 hours a day first thing in the morning, so before work each day I bring the on the exterior skybridge that connects my building to the next, where they get around 8 hours. I've been doing this for four years, and, believe it or not, my neighbors LOVE it. By now they all even know that they're NOT flowers.

The plants seem to like it. Living in Downtown Atlanta, heat can be an issue in the summers, but luckily the elevation of my unit provides lots of wind. My biggest problem is root fungus, which seems to come and go. But this year I think I'm doing fine (knock on wood).

My collection is limited to pitcher plants, which have always been my favorite type of CP. I've several types, including several s. wrigleyana that are prolific and have out-lived several bog gardens and other species. When I started collecting again, root fungus was an issue, but these devils refused to die. In fact, I'd swear they are immune or something. From one original plant I now have 30.

Well, that about does it for now. I look forward to being more active on this forum, providing my job isn't killing me.

Take care.

Caleb

img1520wh2.jpg

The prolific s. wrigleyanas before I started my daily light routine.

img0607ro6.jpg

Me and my kitty cat.

Welcome! Originally from Smyrna, now I live about 60 miles north, unfortunately lmao.

DIRRRTY SOUTH! ATL is the best capitol.

Nice bog. And cat :) . Welcome to Terraforums!!!!!!

Welcome! It looks like you have a nice little flower there. You'll have to post more pictures of the bog once the season gets further along. I hope your cat doesn't continue to use the "water tray" as a litter box!

xvart.

Welcome!!! What a cute kitty!!!!

Yo :)

Welcome to TF! Nice cat.

Thanks, everyone. Sofie is a doll. I've had her for six weeks now. She's extremely well behaved - she's evern learned now to eat my CPs!

Welcome glad you found TF

Whats up! i'm from ATL myself; just getting into the whole CP thing; have you seen the botanical garden's new exhibit of CPs? "Big bugs and Killer Plants?"

Whats up! i'm from ATL myself; just getting into the whole CP thing; have you seen the botanical garden's new exhibit of CPs? "Big bugs and Killer Plants?"

I haven't been yet, but really want to go. Unfortunately, my work schedule in the coming weeks means it won't be anytime soon!

If you get a chance, you should check it out.

I live just OTP off I-75N

Hey Terminus,

I would not worry too much, the exhibit is slated to run till October so you have time and then some :)

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

I hope to visit Atlanta one day... Welcome to Terraforums!!!!!! :D

Hey Terminus,

I would not worry too much, the exhibit is slated to run till October so you have time and then some :)

I'm going today. I can't wait.

Welcome welcome Terminus...and Sophie. She's beautiful. :)

I just love it when the lurkers come out of the shadows. :D

Back