What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie from Md here

Hello all. I am new to this hobby infact i dont even have my plants yet. I did a bunch of reading and decided to order a couple venus fly traps and one north america pitcher plant. They will be here soon i hope. I plan on doing an outside bog garden. I cant wait to get going in this hobby I lo ve watching things grow and thrive which inspired my other addiction ( I mean hobby) which is reef keeping. So if any one has any suggestions,pointers etc I am all ears

Ken

Welcome!

My suggestion? Buy some Nepenthes :)

Oh reef keeping I see. I used to do that. Great hobby. If you have a space PC system or better yet, MH, use it for a big terrarium. Y'know, for those nice nepenthes you were thinking of buying :)

I'm glad you want to grow temperates outside. Most newbs are hellbent against it. Mulch heavily and you should be fine.

As appealing as a large terrarium is i already have a 300gl and 120 gl reef tank so getting another tank in the house might not work out so well.

What is best to mulch with?

:welcome:
Here is a link about mulching.

300 gallons? 120 gallons?

You're so cruel not to post pics. Do you want me to cry? Is it mostly sps, lps, softies or a hodgepodge of all of them?

We have a member named Victoria in... Kansas I think. She's offered to trade coral for plants in the past. Something to consider if you ever have spares.

The 300 is SPS and the 120 is LPS and softys.
Here is the fish room
IMG_0143.jpg

Here are some shots of the fish and corals
IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

OMG, that's soooo cool! It's like Finding Nemo!!! I love Moorish Idols and Blue Tangs!:love:
I bet its expensive to keep, huh?

Its expensive in the beginning if you want a high end set up. Fish and corals can also get very expensive. Actually keeping the tanks running dosent cost all that much and its lots of fun. When i started looking around at keeping CP i was pleased that the plants seemed relatively considering what i am used to spending on a coral.

Very nice. Especially the bird's nest. Is that a real moorish idol or a Heniochus? It's hard to tell from here.

Welcome! OMG your fish tank is sooooooooooooo pretty!!!!

It was a real morish idol. It didnt make long like most. It was eating like crazy and lived for several months then just died.

Thanks for the complements everyone. hopefully i can be just as successful in this hobby.

Of course you can. Just make damn sure you wash your hands before you handle the cp's!

Wow....your aquariums are amazing!!! You'll have no problem growin cps! Welcome to terraforums :D

Thanks alot! I got my first pitcher plant from Home Depot last night. I am very excited! Cant wait till my other plants come that i ordered so i can get my little bog going outside.

Ah, saltwater! I would give up to hakf my fiefdom for a few tanks! Welcome to TF!

Welcome aboard! Those are some beautiful tanks! Another hobby I would love to get into someday. I just don't have the time nor the money nor the space right now! (Nor the support of my wife... lol.).

xvart.

Welcome to the forums. If you're disciplined enough for awesome aquaria like those, you should have no trouble learning CPs, especially with all the knowledge to be found here.
You should just put some shallow shelves on the lip of your aquaria stands and try a few easy Neps in there. I bet it's humid enough in that room for them, and that much water probably buffers the air temperature pretty well. I know it's probably not the perfect plant-growing kind of light in there, but if you have corals it should be bright enough for the easy species at least. It's not like you have to buy anything for it, besides maybe a $20 wall-mounting shelf kit at the hardware store or Linens N Things or whatever. Certainly an unconventional display, but I think Neps could make very interesting cover foliage for fish.
~Joe

awesome tanks :) welcome to the forums :)

Back