What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

juliethegr8t

Instant Addict
Hello everyone! My name is Julie, and I'm from Wichita, KS (anyone else from the state?). I am in love with CPs, succulents and other plants, breeding/raising tropical fish, bettas, and snails, as well as horses. I recently moved here from the Seattle area. About the same time, I got turned onto CPs! I did a ton of research (like I always do with something new) and talked to lots of people before purchasing my first ones. I have started with:

N. sanguinea
D. capensis "narrow leaf" and "red leaf"
D. spatulata
U. sandersonii

They are doing WONDERFULLY and I couldn't possibly be more thrilled. My nepenthes has added 3 more pitchers since I got it, and has 3 new leaves (and more pitchers) on the way. Both my narrow leaf and spoon leaf sundews have flowered and I successfully started some of the narrow leaf's seeds.

I just added two more to my collection when I went by Lowe's and had to save 2 from the cubes of death. They hadn't been there long (therefore they had a chance of rescue), that was obvious, but I'm carefully acclimating them to lower humidity. One is S. purpurea and the other is an unknown Nepenthes without pitchers (I'm so excited to find out what it is).

I hope/plan to get a lot more in the future. I've got to have me some VFT's and some Sarracenia for outdoors. (Anyone wanna help out a newcomer? :)) I'm in love with these plants! Can't wait to meet everyone, and thanks for including me in what looks to be an amazing forum!

Julie

P.S. Can't wait for the upcoming auction either, I spotted that immediately. Also, sorry this got so long.:blush:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum !

Love to have someone here with such enthusiasm!! Welcome and I hope you enjoy TF!

Welcome.

I see the addiction has started. :-))

Yay! Another KS member! Welcome, Julie. I grew up in Lawrence, KS and went to school at both KSU and KU. There is another member, Victoria, who lives out in western Kansas so there are a few of us around here. I actually now live on the Missouri side of KC but I'll always be a Jayhawk through and through.

Sounds like you have a nice collection starting out there! A nice variety. Again, welcome aboard, and I love the title of your thread! We are excited to have you here!

xvart.

welcome! you are going to absolutely love N. sanguinea even more as the pitchers get bigger! i love mine to death! im with elgecko. welcome to the addiction :D your gonna love it here!
Alex

Welcome to TF! Another from Kansas is kcstarguy (Eric). You and I both have CP's & tropical fish in common. When I was a kid I had 8 tanks, most of which were dedicated to breeding Anabantids, including Bettas.

Hurra! Your excitement makes me wish I had some CPs again!

aaaahhhhhh, this brings back many memories :blush:

welcome julie! I'm from Kansas myself. The land of Oz, just remember, you can drink the water, but don't eat the ice! :welcome:

Thank you so much to everyone for the warm welcomes! :) I am glad to hear there are some other Kansas folk - I don't know anyone here yet, so to have some local CP connections would be wonderful.

I am definitely addicted, and so enthused. Hehe! I spent most of my evening tonight fawning over all my plants, taking pictures, and then taking to the net to fawn over all the ones I want! I'm drooling a puddle over Cephalotus... especially since my grandmother offered to pay for half for my birthday. :-O We'll see!! Woo hoo!

I am definitely addicted, and so enthused. Hehe! I spent most of my evening tonight fawning over all my plants, taking pictures

lol. Can I get a :pics: lol.

xvart.

Hello Julie! Nice to meet a fellow kansas CPer! Likeastone told me there was a new TF member from Wichita so I thought I would post a quick hello!

I sent you a PM by the way.

Way cool on your grandma possibly pitching in half for a Ceph, they are very awesome plants....although I have never seen one in real life, lol.

Well, Welcome!
Victoria

Welcome my friend

Thanks again for the welcomes, you folks are awesome. :)

Victoria, I have emailed you back with excitement!

I actually will be getting some different plants for my birthday. I decided not to spend all my money on a mature Ceph, just in case I have trouble with it. BUT another friend is sending me a baby one for my birthday. I'm so excited. :-O

Thank you so much to everyone for the warm welcomes! :) I am glad to hear there are some other Kansas folk - I don't know anyone here yet, so to have some local CP connections would be wonderful.

I am definitely addicted, and so enthused. Hehe! I spent most of my evening tonight fawning over all my plants, taking pictures, and then taking to the net to fawn over all the ones I want! I'm drooling a puddle over Cephalotus... especially since my grandmother offered to pay for half for my birthday. :-O We'll see!! Woo hoo!

Wait'll ya see what pigmy sundews or woolly sundews look like when the sun shines upon them! Forget the carnivorosity... and enjoy the beauty!

D_capensis_Albino_001.jpg

AR000102.jpg

AF001901.jpg

AF002801.jpg

And not a single plant above was purchased at an online store or a garden shop. They all came from our forum members - cheap!

Wow, gorgeous pictures and absolutely stunning plants. I hope to get some of the same someday. I'm especially wishing for a wooly sundew. *sigh* :)

Woolly sundews are a bit challenging to care for. They need lots a light, heat, and humidity. But the one pictured is an easy one and tolerates more than the others.

you keep your byblis that wet jimscott? Maybe I need to re-evaluate the conditions mine are in

They were established in the swamp and thus were under stable conditions for several months... until the hanging basket above it gave way... and crashed into the tub, knockit over, onto the floor - totally toast! They do prefer it drier.

Back