What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheers (again)

Howdy,

To all of you I already know (in a nonbiblical sense) - How are you and yours?

To all of the new folks - Nice to meet you.

I hope all are happy, healthy and have lots of new plants. On a side note - I will be in Macy, Nebraska the week of Aug 6th - 10th (2007) and would love to have pie and talk CP with any local cp folk. Drop me a note if you are in the area.

Since Andrew was nice enough to set my account in order and get me back online I will make an honest effort to post more than every 3 years.

Brief intro- I have been into CPs for many a year, currently I am in Central Ohio, I grow some of everything and have my favorites which I will keep to myself. I am an internet developer by trade and read loads of Sci Fi/Sci Fantasy books, enjoy watching tv shows until they inevitably get cancelled and play the bagpipes hideously (of course who doesn't). That is probably more than you needed to know - grow well.

Cheers
Pete

Heeeeyyy Pete! Great to see you back. Its been way too long! I hope you can stick around and post more often. You're an asset to the community. :)

Welcome back! The forum name sounds vaguely familiar.

....and he's gone! LOL JKing! (I hope! ;-) ) welcome back man, it was no problem getting your account back up and going. When I upgraded the software I did that A LOT for people LOL

I love Science Fiction and Fantasy! What are your favorite or most memorable books in the genre? Do you enjoy hard fantasy or the softer space opera most? Welcome back!

xvart.

Thanks for the welcome.

Sci Fi/Fantasy - I lean more towards the fantasy side of things. I think Glen Cook's Black Company (original trilogy) would be my favorite, Fred Saberhagen's Berserker saga - the early books was original, Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books (Corum would be my favorite), Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser, More current books, Simon R. Green's Nightside books, most of Steven Brust's Vlad books, some of David Gemmell's books, James Clemens' Godslayer chronicles is good so far and Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the fallen - but it is not as easy a read.

More information than you were looking for.

I will try to hang around a bit longer this time but sometimes things get out of our hands.

Cheers
Pete

Welcome ? The place has changed a bit but for the better !

Hi Pete! Glad your back. My Sci-fi/Fantasy tastes also lean toward the fantasy side but I'm more into the humorous stuff like Robert Lyn Asprin's "Myth" series. I grew up though reading Asimov, Heinlin, Orson scott Card, etc.

More information than you were looking for.

Actually that's exactly what I was looking for! I also like the Godslayer Chronicles so far. I haven't finished the second one yet and had to return it to the library so once I get it again I'm looking forward to finishing it. Some of the fantasy you listed or on my "to read" list but always find other things to read instead. Thanks for the recommendations. Have you read George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series? It's amazing.

xvart.

BCK - thanks and good to see ya. I loved the early Myth books, but since his divorce he has had to take on these "partner" writers and the series seems to have lost a bit of it's fun, I am also pretty happy with the Fool's Company books and liked all the original Sanctuary stories.

xvart - The Song of Ice and Fire is great (dark but great) - though the last book was not as good as the first 3 I thought, I have already preordered the next one though. George R R Martin also edited an older series (Wild Cards) that started very good but then drifted off, if you run into them in a used bookstore they are worth a read.

Also if you like Ice and Fire you should like the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes - similar writing style but a new storyline.

Cheers
Pete

xvart - The Song of Ice and Fire is great (dark but great)

Yeah, definately dark. It's so refreshing though. When you finish the first book you know that all bets are off and anything goes.

I'll put the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone on my hold list at the library.

xvart.

I agree it is breath of fresh air in comparison to the average read - but do not get attached to any character, odds are they won't last long.

Welcome!

but do not get attached to any character, odds are they won't last long.

Good. I wouldn't want it any other way.

xvart.

Hey Pete, welcom back!

If you're into fantasy, check out http://sennadar.plebian.net/
and read the firestaff collection - great free online reading!

Sorry, Xvart!

I was too trusting to assume people would excersise some self-restraint

Sorry, Xvart!

I was too trusting to assume people would excersise some self-restraint

Self-restraint?! I scoff at thee! Mwuhahahaha!

xvart.

Back