What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botanically-Challenged, but Hoping to Change!

Hello, All!

My name is Amanda, and I live in Florida. I'll tell you now that I have brown thumbs. :-( I don't keep plants; I keep tarantulas. That's what has brought me here. I'm setting up a vivarium for an arboreal Venezuelan species, and I would MUCH rather use real plants than fake. The tank is just about ready for planting. I bought a few plants at the National Reptile Breeders' Expo in Daytona this past weekend, but the salesman in the booth was no help whatsoever. Most weren't labeled, and he tried to sell me on a rack of desert succulents. I know those would never work. I'll be posting pics of what I got in the i.d. forum just to be sure. I like to know what things are.

Anyhoo... I'll use the search function as much as I can, but you can expect a ton of newbie questions until I get the hang of the green stuff. :eek:

Thank you in advance!

Howdy there! Glad to have you here.

Even if you claim to have brown thumbs, the same type of characteristics that allow you to keep tarantulas will help you in keeping plants

I'll use the search function as much as I can

That's what we love to hear! :p Don't feel bad about asking questions though, the folks here are pretty darn nice. While you may need help with plant questions, there may be someone with tarantula questions that you can answer - we're all newbies in some regard. :)

Welcome to TF! This may sound odd, but the relatively few female type peole we have on carnivorous plant discussion forums have an affinity for things like pet rats, pet snakes, and one that also grows (or at least raised) tarantulas. And the guys... well... a lot of them are essentially sadists. The gals are mostly tomboys.

Welcome! Contrary to popular belief CPs are actually really easy to care for.

Anyhoo... I'll use the search function as much as I can,

Woah. Woah! WOAH! My heart...

xvart.

welcome! i used to have a Chilean rose(which is what im guessing is in your avatar :D) she died last year though :( her name was Rosey(original eh?) i agree with Est. MANY MANY MANY CPs are extremely easy to grow. Melbourne, FL....you can grow most of the tropical CPs like the magnificent Nepenthes

Welcome Amanda!
I love answering newbie questions! :) You should be able to grow Nepenthes and other tropicals without a terrarium or green house, on a windowsill.

So many responses! Thank you all for the warm welcome! :D

Even if you claim to have brown thumbs, the same type of characteristics that allow you to keep tarantulas will help you in keeping plants.

That's what I'm hoping. In theory, if I'm doing daily maintenance on the spider, I should be able to keep the plants alive, right? I usually succeed at anything I really apply myself to, and it bothers me that plants in my care always die. It's like the opposite of the Midas Touch, lol. I'm determined to make it work this time though. I've got you guys on my side! ;)

Welcome to TF! This may sound odd, but the relatively few female type people we have on carnivorous plant discussion forums have an affinity for things like pet rats, pet snakes, and one that also grows (or at least raised) tarantulas. And the guys... well... a lot of them are essentially sadists. The gals are mostly tomboys.

Haha, I'm no tomboy. I guess I've just always had interesting tastes. I have 14 tarantulas and a 75gal reef tank. Although I don't have any, I much prefer aggressive fish (frogfish, lionfish, moray eels, etc.). My two favorite online haunts are www.grimreefers.com (sounds scary, doesn't it? :rolleyes: ) and www.arachnoboards.com. I think snakes are tons of fun. Rats usually fall into the "food" column in my brain, but I wouldn't mind owning a hairless rat!

welcome! i used to have a Chilean rose(which is what im guessing is in your avatar :D) she died last year though :( her name was Rosey(original eh?) i agree with Est. MANY MANY MANY CPs are extremely easy to grow. Melbourne, FL....you can grow most of the tropical CPs like the magnificent Nepenthes

Yep, that's a rosehair in my avatar. I'm sorry for your loss. :-( I love all of mine dearly. I cried for two days when my very first tarantula died.
If my first attempt goes well, maybe one day I will have a jungle of Nepenthes hanging across my backyard!

As for the search function, I'm new to CPs, but I practically live on the couple message boards I'm on. I know how frustrating some questions can be when they are asked and answered twice a week, and a simple search would have saved everyone the hassle. :rolleyes:

Another saltwater enthusiast! Cool! I never had a salt tank a home, but when I was a young adult I worked in a tropical fish wholesaler. When I showed interest in the salts, my supervisor taught me what he knew and tuened the care and ordering to me. While I like the cute and colorful, I also have an affinity for the odd. As for fish, my favorites were anglers / Sargassum, Dragon Wrasse, Marine Betta, Firefish,Pearly Jawfish, Mandarins,...

Not a tomboy? Well that shows to go ya that you can't pigeon-hole people!

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Howdy there! Glad to have you here.

Even if you claim to have brown thumbs, the same type of characteristics that allow you to keep tarantulas will help you in keeping plants

That's what we love to hear! :p Don't feel bad about asking questions though, the folks here are pretty darn nice. While you may need help with plant questions, there may be someone with tarantula questions that you can answer - we're all newbies in some regard. :)

I'm not very nice, stay away from me.

Welcome haha, hope you enjoy your time on TF!

~NeciFiX

Anyhoo... I'll use the search function as much as I can,

Dont worry too much if you cant find stuff. Just ask. You wont be penalized for it at all. Or called anything. Thats pretty unique for a forum these days.

Yay...another female! Female CP growers rule. :)

I've never owned a tarantula, but yes I DID have 19 fancy rats at one point in time. That may actually be why I'm so into CP's right now. I'm not allowed pets where I live and it's the closest I can get.
There is one spider I've developed an affinity for however. Usually I feed spiders to my VFTs but this one has never made a web in my way, doesn't steel from the plants, and cleans up his web completely every morning while I'm watering. He's a very smart and neat spider ... and yes, sadly enough I've named him. But he's the only spider who's safe from my VFTs and a nice pair of tweezers.

19 rats?! .... thus perpetuating an odd phenomenon amongst the famale contingent on this discusion forum....

Back