What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello to all from Southern California!

I just got on here today. So far I don't see too many people on here but it could also be cause it's a Friday.
Feel free to send me a message!
I have around twenty or so plants and I'm totally crazy about them. I can't wait for February when they've had a good sleep and are about to wake up so I can separate and transplant them.
I just got my boss interested in CP's cause I gave him and his family a little Cape Sundew. If it lives a year, I'll give them a S. x "Judith Hindle."
I just got two Sun Pitchers imported from Germany and they're settling in, although I may not be able to keep them humid enough. We'll have to see where that goes.
In Thanks for giving my boss a Sundew, he gave me a baby Juniper Bonsai tree ... so now I have to figure that whole thing out too. Anyone here good at Bonsais?
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Welcome.

CP's can become an addiction. LOL

I have not tried any Heli's in lower humidity yet, but I have many Drosera, Utric, Pings, and Nepenthes growing in windowsills.

I have some trees I've been working on for a few years. Nothing I would call a Bonsai yet.

Thanks for the response! My S. X Moorei is my pride and joy. That's the one in my pic there. But I have so many CP's that I love. I have a really cool drosera multifida "Extrema" that is HUGE. I have tons of little drosera (I think they just tag a long every time I buy a CP.), three VFT's, two Heli's that I just got imported from Germany, a Ping Primuliflora, a Utric Reinformis & a Utric Gibba (aquatic of course), but I seem to be one of few CPers that has ZERO Nepenthes. You have some amazing pics by the way! What type Nepenthes is in your pic?

welcome!

Welcome So. Cal from North Cal :)
I totally agree with elgeko that CP are addicting! i need my daily "fix" or else i'll go thru withdrawls! heh.

your bonsai: is it one of those junipers bought at home depot or lowes? or is the real traditional one? im training one right now, some type of birch tree, training it to wrap its trunk around a rock...

Welcome to TF! There are a lot of Californians on the discussion forum and two main societies (LACPS & BACPS). Obviuosly, you'll be closer to the one in LA. There's also a pocket of people just from Ventura.

I've seen some of those plants, personally, as Steve and I lived close enough geographically for us to get together and trade plants. Not pictured is his minibog, on the outside porch.

Welcome! And as jimscott said you should check out the lacps.

Welcome Sarah! This is a great forum, with a lot of great input. I too just joined recently, and I am from San Diego. I wish I was closer to the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society), or better yet, the BACPS (Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society), but I enjoy my plants all the same. I almost grow Nepenthes exclusively, but that is because they interest me the most. Once my collection of Nepenthes has grown a bit more, I was considering some Sarracenias, Droseras, and hopefully Heliamphora. I understand the latter can be quite expensive. Anyway, maybe you can take some pics of your plants and share with the rest of us? I always enjoy seeing what other types of plants might interest me. I hope you become an active member in the forum, as we can always use more fellow addicts.

-Daniel

P.S. Get some Nepenthes! :-D They really are spectacular plants. (oh yea, I don't know if elgecko answered you or not, but that Nepenthes in his picture (avatar) is a Nepenthes Hamata. It is quite the coveted Nepenthes and can sometimes be hard to get. They do get fairly expensive, but not quite as expensive as some of the more rare endangered species. Elgecko has a few threads about his "magic window" too, with some great pics. Snoop around and you'll find some great pics/plants everywhere.)

:welcome: Hope you have fun here! =)

Thanks for the comments on my pics.

As someone has pointed out my avatar is Nepenthes hamata.

I've seen some of those plants, personally, as Steve and I lived close enough geographically for us to get together and trade plants. Not pictured is his minibog, on the outside porch.

I miss the good old days getting together Scott, or as it seems everyone here calles you Jim.
I've run across 3 other growers in the area and we get together from time to time. 1 of them is right up around Reading.

The minibog is pictured on my website.

Look what you did Scott. I took these a few weeks ago. I'll start a new thread with these as well.

Minibogfull.jpg

Minibogside.jpg

Minibogcloseup.jpg

Welcome aboard! There have been quite a few people recently from your neck of the woods. We're glad to have you!

Welcome Sarah! This is a great forum, with a lot of great input. I too just joined recently, and I am from San Diego. I wish I was closer to the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society), or better yet, the BACPS (Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society), but I enjoy my plants all the same. I almost grow Nepenthes exclusively, but that is because they interest me the most. Once my collection of Nepenthes has grown a bit more, I was considering some Sarracenias, Droseras, and hopefully Heliamphora. I understand the latter can be quite expensive. Anyway, maybe you can take some pics of your plants and share with the rest of us? I always enjoy seeing what other types of plants might interest me. I hope you become an active member in the forum, as we can always use more fellow addicts.

-Daniel

P.S. Get some Nepenthes! :-D They really are spectacular plants. (oh yea, I don't know if elgecko answered you or not, but that Nepenthes in his picture (avatar) is a Nepenthes Hamata. It is quite the coveted Nepenthes and can sometimes be hard to get. They do get fairly expensive, but not quite as expensive as some of the more rare endangered species. Elgecko has a few threads about his "magic window" too, with some great pics. Snoop around and you'll find some great pics/plants everywhere.)

You can tell someone definitely has been using the search function! lol :-))

xvart.

Lol, I have read entirely too many posts from this forum. I even end up reading non-cp-related stuff. All good stuff though :D

I invite you to the LACPS. We meet every other month, 3rd Sat, 11am-2pm, at the Alhambra chamber of commerce building. You can check the address at the website:
http://www.geocities.com/lacps/

Our next meeting is on Oct 20. Well worth joining as there are quite a few enthusiasts and experts that attend.

Hi Sarah, and welcome to TerraForums.

Yes, there are a few Southern Californians on here.

Indeed, Oct. 20th the place to be is the LACPS meeting. DJ will be giving a presentation on the NJ Pine Barrens. There's always a bunch of great people to meet and plants on sale or trade. You're not likely to leave without a new addition to your collection.

what part of HB are you in? my aunt and uncle live right by the peer and a few of my plants...

Anyway, welcome!

your sarras look amazing!

:welcome: to my home!! Please take your shoes of on your way in... If I'm sleeping let me be... and help yourself to the fridge!!! See ya around ;-) Can't wait to see some full size pics, your avatar looks like you grow pretty well :)
Andrew

Back