What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I've been reading these forums for some time, and figured I may as well join! I had attempted to grow CP's, specifically VFT's and Sarracenia's in the past, but without success. I finally learned that this was due to me trying to grow them indoors, and keeping them under plastic domes, and using tap water,... etc. Finally after doing some research on the net, I learned my mistakes and gave them another try in spring of this year. And now I'm hooked! My collection is small, as my space here in Houston is currently very limited, but as soon as I can get into a bigger place my collection will definitely grow.

Currently I have several VFT's, Sarracenia's and purple pitcher plants growing outside on my balcony. The VFT's are growing like mad, and still are catching bugs like crazy this late in the season. My sarracenia's, particularly the Judith Hindle, are doing great, and literally are filling to the brim with ants. My purple pitcher was quite slow to get going (I rescued it from a lowes), but now it also growing like mad and coloring up nicely. It's filling with small flies and ants also.

Just in the past few months, I ordered several Nepenthes, and I'm in love. These plants fascinate me. I've only got 6 neps so far. I'm growing these indoors as windowsill plants on a south facing window. All my neps are young and small, having bought them from commercial growers on the net. My Ventricosa, Sanguinea, and Bongso are all doing great. My Ramispina is doing fine also. But, my Mikei and Red Leopard are in a real funk.

We've (my wife and I) have been in Houston for a year, and will probably be here another 6 mos. or so before moving again to colder climes, thus the reason I didn't buy any lowland neps even though I'm in Houston.

Anyway, be talking to ya!

Good choice to join TF (welcome). What part of Houston? I'm from The Woodlands. I've killed about 40 VFTs since I was 6. Neps are the only thing worth growing IMO lol (check my growlist...I'm obsessed).
Mikei is tricky apparently...I'm having problems with it in Lubbock, so I can't imagine it would go too much better in Houston, though you definitely have about 60% higher humidity than I do. Red Leopard is cake for me....maybe detail your conditions and I can help?

Welcome to TF!

Thanks. Hey phission - I'm in Spring, and frequently make it to the woodlands to see my buddy there. Nice area overall. Yeah, it's humid here, too humid imo - I don't like it!

Anyway, I'll have to make a post soon in the proper forum bout my mikei and red lep. I had heard they were both so easy, and yet they do poorly for me - makes me wonder bout my future plans to get the more exotic varieties of neps! But I'm sure if I had a climate controlled greenhouse I'd fare better. No matter, I'm still hooked!

You're in Spring? You should IM Houstonherp - he's in Spring, too. Has quite the Sarracenia collection.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello NightSky!

A lurker!! We snagged a lurker! :D

Welcome to the addiction--I mean-the hobby. :)

I think we need to speak privately. hehe

Welcome! Nepenthes are my favorite, too. I've never tried either of the two you are having trouble with so I'm not much help. Glad you stepped out of the shadows!

xvart.

Back