What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, one of my New Year's resolutions was to quit being a creepy lurker and actually start posting so...Hi!

I started growing neps about a year ago after they were recommended to me as good companion plants for orchids and eventually ended up giving away the orchids so I could concentrate on cps! I've got ventricosa, truncata (highland), and ephippiata growing very happily in the old orchid setup and I plan to try more species once the weather stops being so brutal. I also recently got what I hope are a couple of vft's from the trash at Home Depot when I bought my Christmas tree. The label just says "Carnivorous $5.99" but the dead leaves are definitely vft. There's a little green nubby center in one of the pots so I'm hoping they're just dormant plants being mistaken for dead. I flushed the media with melted snow and put them right up against the window where it tends to stay in the 40s during the winter and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You all have been so helpful in getting me started with my collection!

Well, one of my New Year's resolutions was to quit being a creepy lurker and actually start posting so...Hi!

Great resolution! Welcome to TF. How large is your N. ephippiata? Any hairs growing out of the lid yet? I have one and I particularly am fond of it as it is quite vigorous.

You all have been so helpful in getting me started with my collection!

Awwwe. How nice. I'm guessing you skipped over all the bickering in the General Discussion forum before saying that, lol.

xvart.

Hello there!

I love it when lurkers come out of the dark. :D

Good...you're on your way. Won't be long before you have a bunch o' CPs. :)

Join in and have fun!

And happy new year!

*scratchy man voice* Welcome! I LOVE Venture Bros!

Welcome to TF! I would provide more than window sill light for the VFT's, if possible. They might be dormant or they might be terribly neglected plants. Either way, the photoperiod is now increasing and between nursing it back to health and having the new growing season at hand, I would supplement the lighting.

My ephippiata is just a wee thing right now and it's still making the generic baby nep pitchers. I only got it a few months ago but it's suprised me with its vigor too! It puts out new leaves at about the same rate as the truncata, although without the exponential size increase.

JustLikeAPill: LOL! I was wondering if someone would get the reference!

jimscott: I've been debating how much I should meddle with them right now. I was planning on putting them with the neps after they come out of dormancy but I don't want to wake them up too soon (if they really are dormant). The photoperiod for the neps is 12 hours a day and it's quite a bit warmer, although at night the temps drop can into the 50s. Do you think it's okay to warm them up now?

Welcome :D
I like orchids but why wait for flowers when you can have nepenthes pichters all the time :D
I have a few orchids though like 2 :-))

I do part time cashiering at Home Depot and I've seen the care that CP's get. Almost nbody in garden knows how to take care of them. Perhaps someone may have had a VFT but it is likely that their plant died in the same manner as most of our first did - any combination of inadequate lighting; feeding it hamburger; keeping the plastic dome on; tap water;.... At the store the better ones were likely to have been picked over. As time went on the plants either got inadequate light or tap water or both. Bottom line, they end up in the trash because they've been neglected / mistreated for too long. I highly doubt that they had the opportunity to naturally go dormant. Obviously, this is all conjecture on my part, having not seen the plants or the care taken.... but if I were a "betting man", I'd say the plants need nursing back to health.

I don't see the temperature fluctuation as an issue, but I would keep the VFT(s?) hydrated, lit, and open to the air. And then I would wait it out.

I do hear ya about not wanting to tinker with conditions too much. I've had my share of killing plants by doing too much tweaking.

Thanks for the insider info! They're going under the lights with the neps tonight. Two of the pots look like goners but one is definitely showing signs of life. This is actually my first vft experience and I really appreciate the tips on making it a good one.

Welcome Dr G! I hope your VFTs pull through. It's always great to have new people on the forum :).

Back