What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from Colorado

Hello everyone! Just found this forum last week after Andrew joined The Planted Tank forums. I fear I am now developing a new obsession :0o: . Haven't owned any CPs since I had the obligatory VFT as a child. After reading this forum for the past week, I am planning either a mini-bog planter or a terrarium for later this spring. If anyone out here in the arid rocky mtn region has had success with outdoor mini-bog planters, I would appreciate your input.

My other hobbies are planted aquariums, breeding killifish, skiing, tennis, biking and hiking in no particular order.

Looking forward to taking the CP plunge.

Duane

Hey Duane,

Where in CO you from? I am originally from Evergreen

Hi, Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here. Great community so I know you will :)

Hey Duane,

Where in CO you from? I am originally from Evergreen

I currently live in Aurora and work in Denver. Before that I lived in Fort Collins. Evergreen is nice, you must miss it.

Duane

I love the colors of that killi , You breed them? I use to have about 30 different killi species until I moved :( . I liked the mop laying ones the best. Take the yarn out every few days and pick out the eggs. Was cool hunting for them lol.

Hi spdskr..... welcome!!!!!!

Muscipula59

I love the colors of that killi , You breed them? I use to have about 30 different killi species until I moved :( . I liked the mop laying ones the best. Take the yarn out every few days and pick out the eggs. Was cool hunting for them lol.

Currently I raise South American Annuals and Nothobranchius species. My avitar is A. ogoense (a mop spawner), but the water at my new home is not the best for Aphyosemion speces :-( .

Duane

:( I live in a major city also so water isn't that great. I bought 25-35 gallon totes and would fill them and let them sit for 24-48 hours. I kept all my killifish in 2.5 gallon tanks. 2 mating pairs per tank with cleanings maybe once a week. They did fine for years and would still be :( .

Moving truly stinks. I had to cut down a lot of hobbies more due to space constraints. I went from having a full 2 family home basement to a single family basement. With the pool table and stuff I got so much limited room :( . Right now I'm growing plants in a walk in closet lol.

Hey Duane, nice to see ya! I've gotta be a little honest, I thought you were blowin smoke when you said you may be interested in this hobby. haha Nice to see ya here though :)

Andrew

PS- for the record, I didn't join that forum last week.. I joined like a year ago when I thought about starting a planted tank... then i went to maybe a reef tank.. then I don't know what happened. lol Not that it matters though:p

Hi spdskr..... welcome!!!!!!

Muscipula59

Thanks.

Hey Duane, nice to see ya! I've gotta be a little honest, I thought you were blowin smoke when you said you may be interested in this hobby. haha Nice to see ya here though :)

Andrew

PS- for the record, I didn't join that forum last week.. I joined like a year ago when I thought about starting a planted tank... then i went to maybe a reef tank.. then I don't know what happened. lol Not that it matters though:p

Lol, no smoke, Andrew. Once it gets warmer here, I'll drop you a line about some plants.

Duane

I currently live in Aurora and work in Denver. Before that I lived in Fort Collins. Evergreen is nice, you must miss it.

Duane

Hey Duane,

Went to CSU for college, fun town.

I miss CO some (mountains, wildlife, the white water) but there are some things I don't miss (the cold, the 9 months of "brown" plants.) I guess it is more accurate to say I didn't miss it enough to try finding a job there for after I finish grad school :-D

welcome to TF! Mu original hobby was tropical fish - mostly livebearers and Anabatids but when I got the Tropical Fish Hobbyist textbook w/supplements I was smitten with the (then) unattainable pictures of Panchax - particularly the Aphyosemions.

Welcome to TF Duane :). Always good to have a new member. Before you know it, you will be a crazy addict like the rest of us.

Hey Duane, welcome to the forums! While I can't help you with bog questions, I may be able to help you with some of your plant questions. Right off the bat I can tell you that humidity hasn't been a problem for any of my more common plants (of course :rolleyes:), just the ones that are pickier about that particular requirement and harder to get. In particular, I had a Nepenthes gracilis that wouldn't pitcher. It was an otherwise healthy plant, but the pitchers always died before they ever started to inflate. Generally, growing CPs in trays filled with a bit of pure water, provides enough humidity and moisture that they aren't affected by our sometimes dry air.

Welcome :D This is the best USA forum for cps :D

Welcome to TerraForums. The Colorado Carnivorous Plant Society meets 4 times a year in Colorado Springs. Jeremiah Harris heads that and is a member on TF. For info on the CCPS see their website:

http://www.coloradocarnivorousplantsociety.com/

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'm going to proceed with a minibog planter with N.A. sundews, VFT, and Sars this spring. Hopefully I'll be able to overwinter them in my garage or basement if they survive their first growing season under my care:water: . Once I get things set up in late April, I'll post some pics here.

Duane

Welcome spedskr, Cp's are very addictive as Im sure your learning. This is a great forum I just joined last week and have already learned a lot. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Welcome and I hope to see you around.

-Jeremiah-

I find it particularly amusing that you already have a hobby and find this one interesting, I think cp's are cooler.
nepenthes ventricosa is a good nepenthes to start with and so is N. sanguinea andy sales that
and drosera capensis is harder to kill than grow Andy sells that also.
sarracenia catesbei is a great and beautiful sarracenia andy sells that too.
they like clean water RO or distilled rainwater will also work and a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite works for about 80% of all carnivorous plants.
fertilizer will burn cp's roots its a slow and painful death so don't fertilize.
some peopla may quote me and say i fertilize all my plants but heck don't use just any fertilizer.
fertilizing can be done but its unnecessary the plants will grow fine without it.
you most commonly hear of people fertilizing nepenthes.

Back