What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

billy from houston

alright phission, im pretty sure i have a n. ventricosa but wen i got it, it had no roots, just a stem(it came from lowes)...ive had it in a 3 equal part mix of lfs, peat, perlite. it just sits outside in a hanging pot getting maybe a few hours of early sun. so what should i do with it? it doesnt look like its growing but not dying either. is everything normal?

oh, its been in the pot for about 3 weeks now, when can i expect it to root?

thanks,
~b

Whoops lol just looked at this. I don't really check this section much...better to PM me or start a thread in the nep section (I basically live there).

Your mix sounds fine to me (for that species). Are you planning on growing it outside? I don't know how well it'll do in the dead of summer, but it'll do ok outside until it gets into the 90s. Few hours of morning sun sounds good. Whats the humidity like in Houston these days? If its above 50%...which I'm sure it is (even in winter lol), that should be great. If it doesn't look like it's declining, I'd just leave it alone. Rooting can take a variety of times depending on the conditions/species or hybrid/etc. I've had plants root in 2 weeks, and I've had some that still had no roots 4 months later. I find bright light and high humidity will get things to root faster. It may already be rooted, just lagging and not doing anything yet. No matter how tempted you are...don't check if its got roots yet. Fussing with it could break any small roots it potentially may have at this point.

it feels super dry here but its a whopping 63% humidity... we're just so used to the 90+ humidity :)

im not messing with the plant, just let it hang around outside in a hanging pot. enjoying a good days sun...i do mean alot of sun, and its not burning or dying, which im sure will happen during the middle of summer if left outside.

~b

Just make sure it has adequate water. While trying to root it, don't let it dry out.

Back