What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New

Hey guys,

I am new to forum. Thanks for having me.

I just recieved a few Venus Fly Trap seeds and I want to know what I should do to start them growing.

Do I need to crack the seeds first?

What would be a good set up?

I am pretty new to botany so I am a big newbie.

Thanks guys.

Whatever you do DO NOT CRACK THE SEEDS! I got my to sprout by putting them in my terrarium and put them ontop of some 1:1 peat moss perlite.

Also WELCOME! :)

-Ryan

Welcome to TF (Terra Forums)! I'm not so sure myself because I'm still a newb, too. But I think you should first, get an equal mix of peat and perlite and wet it down in a pot with holes or a tall pot (Fly traps don't like to be in an undrained pot unless it's tall). DO NOT use any kind of water that is NOT distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water (LOL, I sounded like FCAT). Next, you just lightly sprinkle the seeds on the surface. DO NOT BURY. Then, you put it in a plastic bag in bright, but not hot, light. Make sure the bag as air in it and keep a little bit open for air circulation. I recommend using fluorescent light, but make sure it's enough light and a little close, but not extremely close. Now, you just sit back, relax, check on the seeds, give some water maybe, and enjoy them for years to come. But you must have patience, it takes about 6-8 weeks or something. If they end up not growing, it's ok. Depending on where you got them, they actually might not grow, but give it a try. I messed up on seeds before (and I think now XD). A little tip is that when winter comes, they MUST have dormancy or they will die. You can till it's dormant when it looks dead in the winter. In a few months, they grow back. The reason I mention for the pot to have holes is that they like the water tray system. All you do is put a tray under the pot that holds water for the soil to stay wet. Please, if anyone reads this, correct me. Good growing!:water:

Last edited:
depending on where you live you could probably start your seed outdoors and grow your VFTs outside year round! where do you live?

just lay the seeds on some peat moss and wait. they dont need any stratification and they will sprout in a few weeks. remember though...it takes like 3-4 years for them to be as big as their store bought counterparts. the new seedlings will grow slowly but staedily. just water them with Rain, RO, distilled or Deionized water. for the first 2 year VFT seedlings DONT have to have a dormancy but will need one for their 3rd year.

keep them in as much sun as possible and your good to go!

and welcome! haha
Alex

Looks like glider got it answered pretty well :)
So... :welcome:
Andrew

My advice is to take the seeds, and put them in the garbage can. Then click on the links above to Andrew's store and buy a grown VFT. This will get you a nice VFT many years before you'll get them from seeds. :p haha! Just kidding, sort of - you gotta be real patient with seeds.

Casplock

Welcome!

just sow them on top of the soil no need to fridge them to simulate winter and then spring, I didn't stratify my seeds and I have flytrap seedlings now. they are alot tougher than you think and no need to feed the tiny vft's once they germinate, germination can take several months.
and also the plants take like 5 years to mature from seed. :bigthumpup:

My advice is to take the seeds, and put them in the garbage can. Then click on the links above to Andrew's store and buy a grown VFT. This will get you a nice VFT many years before you'll get them from seeds. :p haha! Just kidding, sort of - you gotta be real patient with seeds.

Casplock

or do that, a few seeds you said you just recieved a few seeds how much is a few?
My aunt paid like 7$ plus shipping for some flytrap seeds and the packet said it contained four to five seeds. :(
one flower stalk on a flytrap produces like 8 flowers and each produces hundreds of seed so to only put 4-5 in a pack is just ripping people off.

Last edited by a moderator:
they only produce like 20-30 per pod. hundreds would be sundew seeds :)

Alex

haha sorry confused with my D. capensis haha.
hey your new capensis is a great starter sundew it's very hardy as in hard to kill and its perfect for beginners.
Andy has a fantastic all red form of capensis
dcapensisallred-store.jpg

That red cepensis is fantastic... hmmmmm i might just have to get one soon. We will see
-Ryan

I have seen his trays of them they all look that red, Andy said this was the first actual all red "red capensis" that he has found.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome! You'll have a good time here Dawson. :)

Thanks guys,

I will use your advice and get this thing started...

I live in Michigan so I will plan on having the plan indoors most of the time

Do you think I would need any special lights because of this?

Welcome -

Many on herewill tell you to grow venus flytraps outdoors. Is this ideal? Yes it is; however, don't be fooled into thinking you cannot have healthy, impressive venus flytraps indoors. Typically people use either a CFL (compact fluorecent). With me I use T12 cool white fluorecent... 48 inches long and I have a nice shelf from Lowes as my growrack.

You can use the search option at the top for lighting... there is actually a terrarium lighting 101.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask! There's a lot of smart people on here willing to lend a helping hand.

hello and welcome to TF! enjoy the forum, remember to search, there is tons of info here :)

~b

Welcome aboard. I agree with Capslock, as sad as that may be. I just didn't have the patience to grow from seed when I started. Buying more mature plants is much more rewarding in the beginning.

xvart.

Back