What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi to all from greece

Hello

My name is alex im 23 i just bought α Dionaea Muscipula can some one tell me how much ligth is need this pland? how often put it at sun ?

what kind of fertiliser can i put in it to grow big fast ?

and how often does it's need water ?(I read someting about ste dirt being wet all day?is it right? )

sorry i am noob at plants its my fist one

Ι appreciat if some one give me some answers of some links with the answers i 'm loking for :hail:

Welcome TF! VFT's are outdoor plants. It needs direct sunlight, but a new plant ought be put under a porch for a week or so to acclimate. They need to be barely moits, not saturated, so whatever achieves barely moist is how much watering you need to do. Do NOT use any fertilizer at all. Do NOT use tap water. Use rain or distilled.

Welcome! Good growing to you!

Yeah gradually move it to full and use rain or distilled they are bog plants and can be grown on the tray method, avoid potting soil and fertilizer if you wish to re pot use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite or sand. You can increase the amount of perlite or sand to increase soil drainage.
If you bought it from a hardware store it is most likely potted in pure peat which has really good water retention and it might get root rot if you grew it on the tray method so like jimscott said you might want to water it manually.

There is no need to feed them, one insect a month is sufficent and they will catch plenty of food when grown outside. They are not tropical and will need a dormancy. If you have mild winters you can winterize them and grow them outdoors during winter, keep the soil just moist during this time and if it gets too cold (below freezing although they can handle 20F not sure what that is in celsius) go ahead and move them to an unheated garage or shed.

The growing instructions for venus fly traps are pretty much the same for sarracenia (American pitcher plants)
If you want some nice fly traps you can order from flytrapshop.com but I do not know if Andy (owner of the forum and flytrapshop.com) does international orders.

With proper care you will discover they are not hard to grow and are pretty resilient little plants.
Oh and one more thing, nepenthes rule!

Welcome from the other side of the pond. You wanted some links? Here you go:

Barry Rice's The Carnivorous Plant FAQ

Terraforums Search Engine

Those should give you days of reading to look forward to! I still find relics in the past posts through the Terraforums search engine. There is some serious gold if you dig deep and hard.

xvart.

Do NOT use tap water. Use rain or distilled.
Can you explain this why?
It will grow better with distilled water?

and how wet? or how much water ?

From FAQ i read this
http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq3360.html

Carnivorous plants always need to be sitting in wet soil. How wet should the soil be? Wet wet wet. If you squeeze a handful of soil, expect water to run through your fingers and track down your arm. Wet wet wet.

Now i am puting it 8 hours directly at sun. Is this ok?

D_muscipula thanks man:bigthumpup:

this is the plant guys

Does he do international orders??(owner of the forum and flytrapshop.com)

Depending on your water supply, it may have minerals and salts that are not healthy for venus fly traps to sit in. In the wild, these plants grow in soil that is very nutrient poor because the wet soil removed any nutrients from the soil with the water flow. You can water your vft with tap water or "unpure" water for a while, but don't make a long-term habit of it.

If you put your current plant in a bowl, container, or tray, you could fill the tray up about a half an inch or more. It should sit in water most of the time, but it doesn't have to be exactly half an inch all the time.

And yes, putting it in the direct sun will be fine. You might see some die off of the current leaves if they are not adjusted to the sunlight, but the new leaves will be fine and dandy.

xvart.

Still one question left unanswered, does Andy do international orders?

No.

Still one question left unanswered, does Andy do international orders?

Missed that one. No, I do not believe he does international orders.

xvart.

Hey if you are from greece you could register with the Carnivorous Plants UK forum, terraforums is more geared towards US growers but I have an account here and on CPUK.

Back