What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Fly Trap Owner! *waves*

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
Hi all! as you can see Im new here and very excited to find a forum like this...I see there is even an orchid forum...perhaps that will help me understand mine a little better!!

Ive had multiple fly traps in the past...I never really realized that i should probably take them OUT of that darn plastic thing they come in and plant them in a humid environment of their very own. duh!

On a whim this morning I got one at the store that has/will soon have it cut off a flower stalk that has yet to bloom. I had no idea they bloomed! And Ive been reading all day about them as Im determined to keep this one alive!! I also have a "sundew" ??? at home..although I think its having some issues as far as living goes. ...well see if i can help it from what i have learned today...

I also am a hermit crab fanatic...I am an admin on a hermit crab forum and sell my own home-made hermit crab foods. So that keeps me busy most of the time when Im not out playing in my container garden on the balcony with my two kitties.

I think Im off to read more about a home that would be suitable for my new fly trap!!

I also want to say that is an awesome looking green house at the flytrap store. wow! o_O I could only wish for a someplace like that to grow a garden!!

Welcome to TF! You will find a wealth of information here.

Welcome to the forum!! I'm sure you'll fit right in :) by "flytrap store" I hope you mean "flytrapshop" hehe Thanks for the complement!
See ya around! :wave:
Andrew

:wave: :wave: Hello NaRnAr and WELCOME aboard, you couldnt have come to a better community of CPers. This is the best place to learn all you can about all types of CPs and non CPs.. I use to have LOTS of hermit crabs and dearly miss my army...:down: Not only were they very intresting and fun to watch durring there nightly and also daily activities, going thru molts and watching them make there way thru the shell bowl to pick out new shells to live in.. I MISS MY LITTLE TROOPERS... :cry: :cry: I got busy with many many other things and had to find them all new loving homes. Anyways hope you enjoy it here...;)

Oh yes..flytrapshop..my bad ;) Very cool store as well..I was looking at the peat mix you have. I have to come up with a terrarium design this weekend.

Barracuda, sorry to hear about your crablettes...I would dearly miss mine...they take up half of the dining room as it is lol! Im excited tho...next week I will be adopting 25 more to add to my 39! Thats a lot of crabs! lol

Im sure I will enjoy it here! Looks like a great forum! :D

Terrarium? as in fill it with media and plant your CPs in it? You may want to check out the terrarium forum, many people are against this idea. Generally, if you need the humidity of a terrarium, it is best to keep your plants individually potted, but in the tank for the humidity/climate. but some people do manage to keep a planted terrarium just fine, they just tend to crash.....

Andrew

Thanks for the warm welcome! Im so excited about my VFT, Im learning they are just like hermit crabs...warmth, humidity, and dechlorinated water!

adnedarn, I have decided to just put him in a bigger plastic pot and then set the pot in the kritter keeper...seems easier that way if I need to take him out or when i comes time for dormancy. :) (I need to learn you guys definition of terrarium!)

Welcome to TF!

warmth, humidity, and dechlorinated water!
yes. not really. and no! haha my flytraps grow ourdoors year round. they experience whatever the humidity is outside. and water that is only dechlorinated is bad! it not only need to be de chlorinated....but also free of minerals, salts and other contaminants. distilled water and reverse osmosis water(the kind from the filling stations at grocery stores) are the way to go!

welcome to TF!!

Alex

Welcome!

I too grow mine outside, full sun and never ever use tap water for mine.

You've posted quite a bit around so far, but I thought I should give you the official "welcome!" in your thread. I had a hermit crab when I was a kid. Loved him. What a fun pet. What exactly do you include in your hermit crab food?

xvart.

Back