What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another newbie

• Thread starter Hawkeye
  • Start date
Hello from Iowa - new to the forum and just feeling my way around. I don't have any carnivores yet but I'm going to try some and see what happens.

Welcome! :D I hope you find one you like.

Welcome to TF! Be careful when buying plants, because this hobby is very addictive.

Hello Hawkeye, and welcome! Any idea which plants interest you most at this point? Typically the Venus flytrap that gets everyone at least interested... and as Sasha says, it's all addictive after the first! :)
Andrew

Welcome to TF! If you've ever watched the show called M*A*S*H, there is a character called Hawkeye Pierce, played by Alan Alda. He comes from Crabapple Cove, Iowa. Don't know of the town exists for real but he once described Iowa as "the land of eternal nothingness".

Actually, I would like to start with something like the Venus Flytrap or the Pitcher Palnt. Hawkeye Pierce was from Crabapple Cove, Maine - Radar O'Reilly was from Ottumwa, Iowa and sometimes it does seem like "the land of eternal nothingness." :-))

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!!!
Another Iowan!
welcome to the forum.
(I'm from cedar rapids)

Oops... I got them mixed up!

Try some Nepenthes sometime, they're great! And the Venus flytraps (latin name Dionaea) are cool too, but they're all going dormant for winter. Welcome to the addiction...I mean... hobby!!!

VFTs are nice, that's what I started with. Once you know how to grow a VFT you can grow most Sarracenia sp. too. I've only been in the hobby a couple months and already have a VFT and 2 sarrs, LOL

as the others said, it is a very addictive hobby, in just a couple months i`ve seen my wallet take the slim fast diet. Enjoy and happy growing!

Back