What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My sad story with a happy ending...

Hello - My name is Chuck and I live in Duluth, MN (the Siberia of the USA). I've had a life long passion for unusual plants and am actually most interested in plant structure over beauty. Although, structure and beauty go hand in hand. About six years ago, I took my interest in plants to a higher level and began a small internet based mail order nursery. For a couple of years it was fairly lucrative, however, as soon as the economy began to waiver, my business went belly up. I slipped into a rather dark period and lost most of my remaining inventory to neglect. I did however, managed to salvage my most cherished plants. They never looked well, and probably added to my depression.

During this time, I managed to become a large fish in a small pond. I was able to add a carnivorous plant display to The Great Lakes Aquarium here in Duluth, lectured for the Master Gardeners, scored a full two page article in our local paper and even got a few stores to carry the plants. I think I only sold one plant locally, but that was not my objective. I simply wanted to get them out there for people to see and experience...like a fine work of art.

In the end, I discovered I was a diehard plant lover, not a business person.

About a month ago, the aquarium hunted me down and pulled me out from under my rock to install another exhibit. This one more permanent. While doing research, I stumbled upon alot of plants that I had only dreamed of growing. Looking online for information, I stumbled across this forum, and I am happy I did. It has already provided me with a ton of useful information, and reinvigorated my interest in growing carnivores again.

So, hopefully I can become an active member, and I'm happy I found you guys. Thanks!

:welcome:

Hi Chuck, these plants definitely seem to have a pull on people. They think they become not interested but a lot of the time end up coming back. I've seen it many times here on the forum. It sucks your venture did not work long term but I'm glad you've found us here and have been able to restrike your interest! It's reasons like that and my whole "family" here that I took on buying this forum (and then opening flytrapshop.com to pay for this forum)! (more details about that here in the FlyTrapShop category...)

So anyway- New members are always great and it sounds like you have some experience that could definitely help some people! Do you specialize in growing anything in particular?

See ya around!
Andrew

Welcome!
Nice story, CP's are almost extinct, so it is great to know carnivorous plants are becoming more and more popular everywhere.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum !

Welcome to Terra Forums :wave: Thank you for sharing your story with us :)

Welcome to TF!

I have had excellent success with Cephalotus, the "common" terrestrial bladderworts, most Nepenthes (the exception being the extreme highlanders), Pings and many sundews. Tend to have alot of difficulty with plants that require a winter dormancy, and that may be attributed to a short attention span, although, I have managed to carry a couple through the winter months. My current interest are in plants that I have not had the opportunity to grow, mainly because they have been difficult to acquire in the past, ie. Genlisea, "Epiphytic" bladderworts, more challenging sundews. It is interesting to see the variety of what people have on the forum. Didn't realize half of these plants were even in cultivation.

Again, this forum is awesome because you can't find this information in a book.

Thanks for all of the welcomes.

Back