What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Hi all -

I have spent the past few evenings perusing through the discussion topics and articles here, and decided to jump in a bit more. I live just south of Pittsburgh, PA, and grow a moderate number of Sarracenia species forms and a few hybrids in an outdoor bog approx 12' long by 4'wide by 2' deep, which I constructed last spring. The bog is winterized now, but I am anxious for spring so I can see how my plants fared in the new bog. I am just getting back into serious CP growing, and this new bog (my third in three different residences over the past 10 years) has me excited to push my interests further.

I also have a lot of interest in CP conservation issues, and have a educational/professional background in conservation biology - although I do not work in that field now, it is still a driving interest. I hope to get involved with NASC efforts in the future, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. For now, I will be doing lots of reading and observing, and surely asking a lot of questions. Looks like there are a large number of very experienced CP growers here, and I always feel that I have a lot to learn.

That's enough for now - but you will see some post from me soon regarding a few questions I have been thinking about.

Thanks for reading, and drop me a line - especially if you are anywhere near Pittsburgh - I'll be looking forward to establishing some new friendships and sharing ideas and plants.

Dustin Howarth

Hiya! Welcome to TF! :welcome: You should show us some pitures of your bog in spring! I'm sure it'll be great. :)

what are my options for posting photos? i have a few good pics of the bog construction and shortly after planting.

thanks for the quick welcomes!

Welcome! I too hail from the 'Burgh, although I currently reside in "enemy territory" (NE Ohio). I wish I knew of some good resources in the region, but not even Phipps knows what to do with CPs. I went a couple of years ago and saw a few nice Sarrs in the outdoor bog garden with a couple of dews and...nepenthes?!? Sheesh.

Welcome to Terraforums!

I hope to get involved with NASC efforts in the future, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Please do get involved! We are always looking for conservation enthusiasts with Sarracenia experience.

what are my options for posting photos? i have a few good pics of the bog construction and shortly after planting.

I use Photobucket for all my photo uploading and sharing.

xvart.

Let's see if this works - I have webspace with my internet service provider - just never found the time to play with it. Hopefully, this link will get you to my paltry webpage - just a few pics of my bog from last spring with Sarracenias just coming up.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzexo0if/

Please let me know if I did something wrong with the link - thanks!

dustin in pgh

Welcome to TF Dustin. Your bog looks great, keep us updated.

Welcome to Terraforums!

Welcome welcome. Go Browns!

Hi dustin, and welcome to TerraForums!
I see you got your pictures up- but just for the future another option is a site I provide along with this forum specifically for hosting carnivorous pictures for the members of this forum. www.cpforums.org Just make sure to use the same name as here so it gets approved, upon uploading your images they are automatically resized in 3 different sizes all acceptable for internet posting.
See ya around! That bog looks spectacular!
Andrew

Welcome! I too hail from the 'Burgh, although I currently reside in "enemy territory" (NE Ohio). I wish I knew of some good resources in the region, but not even Phipps knows what to do with CPs. I went a couple of years ago and saw a few nice Sarrs in the outdoor bog garden with a couple of dews and...nepenthes?!? Sheesh.

True - not much in the way of resources around here, but that's what a great group like this is for!

Good to hear from another 'Burgh-er! Guess there's not much to do in NE Ohio at this point in the NFL season, huh?:p

Welcome welcome. Go Browns!

Sorry - couldn't resist! Maybe *next* year will be the Browns' year! I hope at least we can all agree that we want baltimore to lose.

I apologize for the non-CP talk. But seriously, thanks to all for welcoming me - I'm sure I will learn a ton, and hopefully make some friends, too ... maybe even in Cleveland!:0o:

Hey, im actually from pittsburgh, so Hi!

Back