What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DSC04693.jpg

DSC04696.jpg

DSC04694.jpg

DSC04697.jpg

Got any advice on:
lighting
aphids
drowning my drosera capensis

So carniverous plants have always been a fasination of mine specially the VFT ever since i was a kid. I've tried to grow and care for about 5 of em in my lifetime none with such great success. probably because wyoming is either an extremly dry dessert or an extremely dry frozen wastland. (those are our two seasons) I had found and purchased D'amato's book Savage garden last year and i'm just starting out now. this is my best attempt so far. I had bought a good lookin vft, D capensis and a baby sarracenia of some kind. my capensis was filthy with aphids so i'm trying to drown out the buggers now. but the rest are in a 10 gallon completly lined with alluminum. my lighting is one 18" GE plant and aquarium bulb. it seems to be a quality bulb but i'm wondering about my Lumens one bulb only does 510. the light hangs on the inside of the tanks lid. right now it stays about 81 degrees to 75 degrees. and 70% to 90% humidity. it seems to LOOK like a good setup but I am a noob so we'll see.

heres a pic. whats it look like that sarracenia is doing, going dormant? i bought it like that. thats a sensitive plant on right. now ive got a dish under it to keep it out of the "clean" water for my cp's.

Last edited:
Hiya, welcome to TF! :wave:

Um. It doesn't exactly help when your picture is on MySpace and it's on private or deleted. But, I'd say you should get the Sarracenia and VFT out of the 10 gallon tank and put them outside in full sun. There are several desert growers here, so hopefully they can give you more advice.

Try using a photo hosting site like Photobucket.

how the heck do i fix that pic. darn. any way just envision my sarracenias brown on the tops. I know vfts arent the best for a tank but outside of the tank it'll be like 20 - 30 %.

VFTs can put up with 30%-20%. And I just said to upload the picture onto Photobucket or another photo-hosting site. >_>

im up in northeast Montana....same climate as you.....most Drosera dont need high humidity, ive got binata and capensis growing in a big picture window here at the office with no difficulties....actually i have had my best luck with most drosera in fairly dry air....a closed in terrarium doesnt have much air movement and it tends to lead to rot....so long as teh soil stays wet they dont mind being in the desert air....i really dont bother much with Sarrs or VFT's so cant help yah there....

Sorry about the screwy pictures i'm tring to figure it out but havent yet. well the above are my plants. and Yes Rattler if thos sars get any bigger i dont know what id do with them here. kinda impulse buy. thats good to hear about the droseras you got though. if i can determine the best grow space i will move them out of the box. probably do the same with the vft and hope for the best. 24 hours later my drosera is still drowning. you can see the little white dots all over it in that pic before i pulled it.
oh and whats your guess on the sarracenias?

Welcome to the party that never ends.

xvart.

Welcome to TerraForums!

no clue on the Sarrs.....as i said i dont mess with them much at all.....tropical and subtropical species are what i focus on just cause they are easier for me to deal with indoors year round.....

Yup. Right off the bat I'm dealing with a few experiments. I pulled my drosera out of the tub and its looking a little floppy but it looks better. I put it on my east bedroom window so well see how long it takes to perk up. I'v got a spot outside for my vft. and i think the sarr is going to follow. Thanks guys.

capensis are pretty hardy, current growth may die off int eh transition from humid to dry but any new growth will be fine.....pretty hard to kill a capensis without trying....

Drowning my drosera worked (24 hours) cant see any more aphids on it alotta the sprouts were totaly eaten up. but theres already new little arms poken out. WOO HOO!

Back