What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new here!

hay, im collin. im new here and am looking for some tips on how to best grow my carnivorus plants.

hay, im collin. im new here and am looking for some tips on how to best grow my carnivorus plants.

what kind of plants do you have?

Number one tip for best growing - research!
I know, stupid answer, but it's really true. There are a lot of smart folks here ready to help you, but you'll get ahead faster if you know the basics and can ask well-informed questions. A good place to start is Barry Rice's CP FAQ. Barry is a pretty knowledgeable guy that's pretty connected in the CP-growing community, and he's been around way longer than most of us small fry on here. Similar, Bob Zeimer is another veteran with lots of good info; his site is called the CP Photo Finder, but he's collected a number of very informative links in addition to his index of photos. Peter d'Amato's The Savage Garden is getting a little outdated but is still a great first read for beginners.
For particular plants, learn where they come from and then study up on the type of habitat they prefer. A few bits of information like a temperature range and altitude might be enough to guess at what your plant needs, but why not be certain? You can save yourself a lot of heartache if you know about which kinds of conditions your plants expect and enjoy. And as a bonus, doing that kind of research will help you pick up lots of other stuff about plants/botany/ecology that simple houseplant techniques can never teach you.
Best luck - you came to a great place for information.
~Joe

hello Collin, you'll like it here just get a plant or two , and there are answers to be had, here there and every where . i started with a cephalotus follicularis and had great luck , but I read a book on just that plant, it is one of the more difficult, but as seedjar mentioned read read read, and you could be growing Nepenthes villosa. though i wouldn't recommend it ,many growers cant grow it after years of experience :-(,
try a drosera spathulata its fairly easy, just good light good water and your off .
Best of luck

Welcome to TF!

:welcome: :wave:

Back