What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, Everybody from Rochester, NY.

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here (newbie).As you can see i'm car enthusiast by my avitar.Been working on it for about a year,but i love growing plants landscaping,gardening.
I did have CP plants about year and half ago. They were doing fine until i got fungus on all my plants and got wiped out. I was very proud of all 45 plants.It was to late for all of them.:headwall:
Well i have a little more knowledge on the plant problems.I'm willing to try again.:D I nothing to offer for plants,but i can help with pc repairs and car fixes and some outdoor lawn problems.
Well it's getting late time to go to bed.We'll see you around.

Bill

Wow another Western New Yorker, awesome! I hail from Canandaigua, other members such as Scotty and Exo are from Rochester too, Oh and cant forget about Jim from around the Buffalo area. Welcome to TF Bill

Welcome, I'm from the other side of the state.

Thanks!! Any tips on bogs for the outdoors for zone 6 on what i can grow and survive the winter! You know how the winters are around here.

Welcome there! im guessing with your car style in the picture that u would also be a fan of the 1972 boat tail Buick Riviera .........

It appears we have another wolf here :D

Hey wolf,
welcome to the forum!
Im also From Rochester! :)

Im considering starting an outdoor bog this year!
(although realistically it probably wont be until *next* Spring..a year from now)

Im inheriting a pond from my Mom, I plan to dismantle it and move it all up here this spring..
by the time I get it all set up and running it will probably be June or July..
so I think I will probably prepare a bog this year, get it all ready, then actually install the plants next spring..

there is a TON of info on this forum about dormancy and keeping plants outdoors..
To give you the quick version:

Sarracenia purpurea is the only plant that can 100% survivive outdoors around here, with no issues or concerns..

Other Sarrs and Venus Fly Traps can possibly survive outdoors..it can be done, but its risky (plants could die) and you need to use really heavy mulch..and they need to be buried in the ground, for extra protection..you cant leave them outside in pots..they will definately die that way.

If you arent going to attempt to keep plants outdoors in an in-ground bog, you need to devise another method of dormancy..check my link in my signature for thoughts about that..

Scot

Welcome to TF! And I'm living in East Aurora, about an hour ESE of you.

Back