What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from Maryland

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. I've been a lurker here for a while and am taking the plunge and introduce myself.
I have been raising orchids under lights for a number of years. Mostly phals but also phrags, sophronitis and some other species (plus some minicatts). In 2007 I was having problems with fungus gnats and a friend sent me some sundews. Well, that was all it took. :-))
That year I (with the help of my family) put in a whiskey barrel bog which is going strong with sarrc, VFT and bog orchids. I've also expanded to a terriarium for some of the smaller orchids. The terriarium is done with the plants individually potted or mounted with spanish moss drapped around to hide the pots. The floor is covered with eggcrate, then a layer of firbark is over the eggcrate to hide it.
I keep tropical sundews among the orchids on the light stands and in the terrarium. A second terrarium is being planned and I've added two small nepths to the collection.Two weeks ago I bought my first Mexican ping and hope to be adding more along with some pygmy sundews.
When I grow more confident with cps i will be adding a ceph as well.

Chibae

Welcome to TF, I'm from Maryland myself. How did ya like that 4 feet of snow we got over the winter? :D

Welcome to TF, I'm from Maryland myself. How did ya like that 4 feet of snow we got over the winter? :D

Which time? I think we got almost three the second storm. yet even the baby VFTs and the southern pitchers survived in the barrel bog without a problem.

Welcome to TF!

haha the one that lasted almost a week, the first huge one

Back