What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howdy ho folks!

Been lurking around for quite a while and decided to register seeing how I FINALLY managed to find some CPs in these parts, so I figured I'd take a few mins and introduce myself :)

24 yr old bloke majoring in English and computer science (6 exams to go and I'm done wooo!!!), living in Croatia, a nice little country on the Mediterranean. Far as CPs go though, the situation is anything but lol.

I've been literally scourging every flower shop and garden centre for weeks trying to get my hands on some CPs and finally managed to find some today. The two venus flytraps one garden centre got in their "Carnivorous Mix" tray were sold already though. Go figure, I've been dying to get some since the climate here is perfect for outdoor growing of VFTs and Sarracenias.

But in any case, I managed to add two droseras, a ping, and some sarrs to my previously lonely bug hunter - nep x ventrata. Doesn't take much to make an enthusiast like me happy :-D

The Sarracenias and the ping are looking... I guess you could say decent considering they've been outdoors on a shelf in full shade 24/7 potted in what looked like dripping wet, garden humus, probably watered with tap water :/

Droseras on the other hand are touch and go sadly. Next to no dew on the leaves and they are looking pretty bad. I'm getting some sphagnum next week so here's to hoping they pull through until then.

Gonna post some pics over at the ID forum, since I sure could use a hand IDing the bunch.

Well so much from me for now, pleasure to be here :banana2:

Wish me luck D:

According to CPUK fellows, Europe has quite an array of plants in their garden centers... apparently, if you look hard enough, you should find some N. x "Rebecca Soper"s or even N. x Mixtas.

Good luck! :)

Europe probably, backwater Croatia not so much unfortunately though.

I can't put into words how bad the situation is when it comes to anything carnivorous here (or aquatic for that matter, another hobby of mine).

As far as nephentes go, the only one that can be found is the infamous ventrata (mislabeled as an alata in shops). Possibly Deroose hybrid, I can't be sure, but most definitely a ventrata in either case.

And once in a blue moon they'll order one of those "CP Mix" trays with like 10 plants in them. Venus flytraps fly off the shelf, the others for the most part die. And the prices are outrageous; half dead plants like the ones I got go for 10€ each, while neps are 20-30€. Taking into account the state they're in (water poured into existing pitchers, no new pitcher development because of no sunlight and low humidity etc), that's insane in my book.

And don't get me started on the soil. Sphagnum moss is pretty much only known amongst enthusiasts that grow CP - there's two companies that have it but they only stock 200L bags and they don't deliver. So yeah. Thankfully I should be getting enough to satisfy my needs next week, if not my only option is to drive 100 miles and pick up 200 liters of sphagnum myself haha. On the flipside, if I do end up doing that I'll probably make a bog garden around my pond or something :D

The only other option would be importing plants from Italy or something, which is close by, but that would involve getting a phytosanitary certificate, which is way too expensive - especially for a college student, or having the plants spend 3 months in quarantine, which is enough to kill just about any CP I can think of.

Sigh. :-(

Welcome to TF!

Back