What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I've been lurking around here for months, figure I should introduce myself and start immersing myself in the community. So... hi!

I, for one, like to know what I'm getting into with someone, so I figure I'll offer the same to anyone that shares that interest. I'll write up some info on me, personally, but I'm going to start with my history with the carnivores so as not to bore anyone to death along the way. If you're like me, there'll be plenty of info to follow. I tend to be long-winded, so I apologize for that up front. ^.^

Well, of course, I've had a few fly traps from various hardware stores growing up. And, of course, they all died. Actually, the last one before the hobby set in (a few years ago), I'm pretty sure it was just going dormant and I figured it to be dead; sad demise for that one. Anywho, I've been keeping planted tanks for a few years and saw a thread somewhere on the plantedtank.net forums regarding carnivorous plants. I was intrigued. After a couple weeks of reading around the 'net (largely here), I headed out to a local nursery and picked up a fly trap, a purple pitcher, a P. primuliflora, and a D. adelae. Went home and put them all in pure LFS in a fish bowl and under one of those "eco" CFL bulbs. They actually did rather well and, so, the bowl was short-lived. I constructed an indoor minibog (figuring the harsh Colorado weather wouldn't do them any good along with the fact that I currently live in a townhouse with no yard or anywhere to put a mini bog outside). This turned out to be surprisingly successful (again), and that's when the hobby turned to an obsession. It got warm here this last summer, so I decided to dedicate one of our spare bedrooms to the hobby and bought a portable air conditioner to keep the minibog cool. During the summer, my wife and I went to California on a roadtrip to visit some family. I had already bought and read The Savage Garden, so I couldn't pass the opportunity to visit Peter's place. We added a few hours to the return trip to swing by. Needless to say, I didn't go home empty-handed. Shortly after, I got a rack and some lights. Then, again shortly after (last night, in fact), I got an ultrasonic humidifier for the plant rack which currently houses four species of Nepenthes, a Utric, and somewhere around 100 D. capensis and D. capensis 'Red' seedlings. And that's about that.

Now for the details. I'll attempt to keep them short and sweet.

38036_1354349265457_1433196733_30786629_7137247_n.jpg

My wife and I with our puppy, Nanaki, during our trip to California this last July.

My name is Kyle, I'm currently 22 and live in Fort Collins, CO. I met my wife 4 years ago and never looked back; can't remember what life was like without her. Don't let the username or avatar/sig fool you (it's been my "eName" since I had one; half my life ago, now), I'm not a dark, brooding, malevolent person. In fact, I'm incredibly easy going and a very happy person. Not outgoing, no, but happy. Aside from carnivorous plants, I enjoy planted tanks, gaming, and I'm a sporadic reader. I've been into graphic design for something like 7 years now. I'm a full-time student going for (at least now) botany. I rather enjoy the subject of meteorology, too. I'm a very firm believer in science. My wife and I are both environmentalists, animal rights proponents, and, as a result of both of those, vegetarians. The carnivorous hobby is a nice bit of irony.

We are currently run by a king snake, a bearded dragon, five ferrets, and two puppies. I also have a 29g planted tank, a 10g non-carnivorous terrarium, and, of course, the carnivores. That's not everything, however. We foster puppies every week for a local rescue, generally 3 or 4 a week. The organization is called A Puppy's Voice (www.apuppysvoice.com - I also recently made a site for the organization which is still in testing phases: www.apvfosters.com).

Our puppies:

59278_134700806575984_100001081951674_184535_8354895_n.jpg

Nanaki on a hike, one of my favorite pictures of her.

149529_147871095258955_100001081951674_251037_5763768_n.jpg

Altana, our very recently-adopted pup.

74111_147871125258952_100001081951674_251039_7045398_n.jpg

The two of them at the park.

The planted tank:

32461_108411142538284_100001081951674_65062_8205620_n.jpg

A somewhat old picture; the carnivores have led me to, regretfully, neglect it.

I think that about wraps it up. I'll get to posting a grow list and starting a thread for me to dump my carnivore pictures into shortly and adding those to my sig.

Thanks, and I look forward to finally contributing to the community!

Last edited:
*squees and claps*

Welcome, welcome! Glad you're not lurking anymore!!

Welcome!

Any time you wanna come back to CA, we'll hook ya up!

Haha, thanks, guys!

Another lurker comes out of the closet!
:beer:

:welcome:

Puppies!!! I love puppies!! :-D

WELCOME! gaming? ps3 deathbox360 or pc?

Handsome dogs!

There's a submarine in your tank!
Hi btw :p

You have a nice growlist.
Welcome to TF!

Back