What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello From the Chicago Area

Hi Everyone,
I live in the western burbs of the Chicago area . My son and I started with CPs maybe 4-5 years ago. Right now I like my Ping Gigantea the best. It used to be Heliamphora Minor until I went off on a business trip and the plants didn’t get watered. H. Minor survived though looks like a seedling now. With the current weather I have cabin fever and want more plants! At the moment I’m waiting for the weather to warm up so a Drosera Ivan’s Paddle can be shipped ...woo hooo!

I also grow some African Violets and their cousins. That part of the plant collection is getting smaller. When not working or tending plants, I’m usually studying Mandarin. I visited China about 3 years ago and was supposed to visit again. But due to a series of circumstances, it looks like that may not happen anytime soon. Sooooo, I’ve been looking at Drosera sp. Lantau Island, Drosera Oblanceolata and maybe Drosera ‘Ruby Slippers’ ....sort of my little piece of Asia. I can't find much about the growth habits of D. sp. Lantau Island though was able to find info on the others. Since people think D. sp. Landau Island may be a hybrid of Spatulata and Oblanceolata, maybe I should just be content with that info.

Thanks for reading and see you online!

Welcome to the forum! :banana2:

Hey there, welcome to the forum. You're in the right place for more info than you can digest. I'm down south a bit but it's nice to see someone else kinda close in Illinois. Now's a great time to search the archives !

Welcome!

:welcome:

Glad to have another local CP'er!

Thanks everyone!

At the moment I'm a bit surprized at the number of CP vendors who don't offer the option to use heat packs during the winter. I'm used to the African Violet world where the vendor does not do any shipping during the winter, or uses heat packs, or only offers 1-2 day shipping at an increased cost. Oh well.

Welcome to TF!

Back