What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dead(?) d. filiformis

i bought a d. filiformis from ebay (small plant, leaves 3-4 inches tall and around the same diameter as a toothpick) it came green but most of the leaves were broken i poted it in new zealand sphag and now, 2 days later it's brown :-(. Is there anything i can do to save it

i also bought a d intermedia which is looking fine so its probably not conditions or mailbox heat

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

this was supposed to be under general discussions but i dont quite understand the posting (stuff) on tf yet

The root systems on that species is hardy. If you keep it moist and humid, you should get new growth from the roots alone. If you don't see anything in a month, shoot me a PM and I'll send you 20+ plantlets, just pay shipping. ;)

If there are any of the leaves remaining maybe try putting them into water and under lights as close as possible. They might sprout plantlets too.

I've had better success with propagating them under low light. They don't seem to fry that way.

There is one leaf left, is it better to leave it so the plant can photosynthesize or to try to propagate it?

I would leave it and keep the media moist, i let my media dry out and the 2 small ones have come back to life with the other 2 larger ones bounced back very quick

ha mass can I get some of those d. filiformis plantlets I prefer the red form if you have them

ur gain from my misfortune

Mass ur way too generous

Hey, mass can I get some too. I prefer SG macros though? LOL.

dashman what kind of vft is that in ur avatar?

ah crap.. We were talking about filiformis? :blush: For some reason I was thinking binata. Guess I'd better get started on propagating some filiformis for the natives huh?!?!?

Hey, mass can I get some too. I prefer SG macros though? LOL.

That makes two of us Damon! I'll take some leaf cuttings of my macro for ya. ;)

wait so does filiformis have a strong root system or can i forget about it coming back to life

dashman what kind of vft is that in ur avatar?

sammich,

That is the Dentate variety. They are fairly common and available at flytrapshop.com if I recall. They are great for building up your VFT collection because they are vigorous growers and can be divided frequently if you are so inclined. (every few years).

I'd offer you some but I am pretty depleted of flytraps at the moment. I have been ransacked by nieces, nephews, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and even an entire girl scout troop. I am pretty sure I gave the plant in the picture away already. But that should give you a hint as to it's growing habits as I have given away more bulbs than I have ever bought and still have enough to grow back out.

I have a few single crown but flowering d. filiformis if you still need some and mass doesn't have any. They look like crap now as they are about to go dormant. I also have some seed I can send to you too.

Perhaps a pic of the plant will help. D. filiformis goes dormant very early. Most of mine are beginning to show the beginning stages of dormancy themselves. By late August D. filiformis is dormant here if I recall.

Last edited:
really? the teeth looked green so i thought it was something more exotic
great picture

It's definitly not dormant it hasn't formed a hibernaculum, just dead leaves

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Plus I have other temperate sundews which are still producing new leaves
How much would you want for one of those mature filiformis' (filiformises filiformi?)

You're very close to me, I live in Fredericksburg. If your filiformis dies I have a few extras I could part ways with.

That thing look pretty crispy. I'd still hold on to it to see what it does. Sundews are tougher than they look.

Last edited:
It's been over a month and still nothing
Should I start looking for a replacement?

Back