What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Hello from Djoni, Portland, Oregon area. I have never joined a forum before, so all new to me. I am hopelessly addicted to CPs, perhaps getting a little out of hand. My husband says I am turning into a carnivorous plant hoarder.

About 7 years ago while wandering around a Saturday Market, I came upon this guy selling carnivorous plants and found out why the flytraps I had as a child died shortly after recieving them. Anyway, I ended up buying a flyrap and a couple of sarracenia that day and, by the end of that summer, I was hooked and bought a sundew and another sarracenia. Things went well for about a year or so and then I decided I wanted a "more natural" setting for my carnivors, so I had dear hubby dig me a hole for a bog garden. Everything was fine for the next several years and the bog flourished. I found myself spending more and more time outside attending to them, no big deal. Then the darn things started outgowing the little bog they were in and the soil started to look a little funky. So, at the beginning of this year I talked dear hubby into digging another hole so I could divide my plants and give them a bigger and deeper home. He swore this was the last hole he was digging (hard clay soil), and so I ended up with a bog 8' x 10' give or take a few inches. Okay, this was good for the plants I had after dividing them all up, but all those bare spots just kept nagging at me. Of course, I had to fill them in with something, right? Our finances are a little tight after paying bills, eating, etc., so I was kinda stuck. I had an over-abundance of D. filliformis 'Florida Giant' and Cape sundews, they grow like weeds in the bog, and a couple large clumps of flytraps, so I started looking and found some wonderful people willing to trade some sarracenia I wanted for sundews/flytraps, perfect . Along the way, I had rescued a few plants from people who did have an addictive personality and got tired of them. All in all, I ended up with a very nice variety of sarracenia, flytraps, and temperate sundews to fill up my bog...well almost, you know how that goes. I don't have adequate windows in the house, so all of my plants are outdoor plants. No wait, I did get some Dewy Pine seeds this year and actually had 3 germinate and now they are huge and look so nice out on the deck, so have to make room in the gargage and set up some lights for those for winter...no big deal, just 2 pots. When that is set up, maybe I will look into getting me one of those cute little cephalotus I have always wanted (I don't need that old kids saddle and was planning on selling it anyway). God, someone stop me.

My grow list includes:
S. Dana's Delight
S. Judith Hindle
S. Flava, a couple varieties
S. Scarlet Belle
S. Purpurea, northern.
S. Leukophilla Tarnok
S. Minor x alata
S. Purpurea x rubra
S. minor 'Okee Giant' just received
Flytraps, 4 varieties
Filliformis 'Florida Giant'
A couple of temperate pings
Drosophyllum lusitanicum
D. capensis
D. rotundifolia
D. dichotoma
D. intermedia
D. regia (yes, this does well in the bog year-round, just dies back in winter to sprout again in spring)
Darlingtonia

Now, if I can figure a way to get a Purpurea venosa and typical minor in there (my wish list along with cephalotus) it will be complete...I hear ya all snickering.

That is my story. I look forward to talking with people with the same addiction.

Welcome to TF. You will be surprised that there are potentially many people in your neck of the woods growing things and then how easy it is to have more find their way home.. Have fun here

welcome from sunny Eugene,if you get down here we got to meet

I know the feeling! I can't stop myself either. Like you, I'm trying to keepy hobby within reasonable bounds. Anyway, welcome!

Welcome to Terraforums!

It sounds like it is too late for you to be cured.

You're one of us now. :banana2:

I'm impressed that you grow D. regia outside in Portland! That's something I hadn't considered before.

Last edited:
Welcome to Terraforums!

It sounds like it is to late for you to be cured.

You're one of us now. :banana2:

I'm impressed that you grow D. regia outside in Portland! That's something I hadn't considered before.

Thank you
Yeah, when I went to repot the regia I noticed it had long roots like my D. capensis and staghorn. The capes will not survive outside here in a pot, but in the bog the long roots are protected from freezing; they die completely back, but come back every year in the bog...so I thought maybe the same with regia and tried it, although I did mulch it. I was on pins and needles until it came back this year and it looks fantastic now. It was very small when I got it last year and only a couple of inches bigger this year, so I do wonder if it will ever get really big like the ones I see grown in green houses because it has to start over every year, but it looks happy and the capes and staghorn get fuller/bigger every year, so...?

Greetings from Corvallis! I suspect the guy you bought from at the Saturday Market was Jeff Dallas. He and his business partner are great folks.

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to TF!

Welcome! Did I per chance meet you at the last open house? :scratch: I'm jealous of your outdoor bog! i'm stuck in an apartment... Nothing in the ground for me!

And no, no snickering going on here. lol.. CPs are an addiction.. I started off this season with a handful, 5-6 plants at most... (ok, looks like 8)

The start of this season, being my first...
6135220204_9c1eaeca5b_b.jpg

and recently. lol. (i've added a few more since this photo)
6135206532_440876432d_b.jpg

6134659079_1c47349e65_b.jpg

So your not alone! LOL. We understand here. :)

Hi, and welcome to TF!
I'm in Portland as well, North Portland, to be not-so-specific!

Hi Brie

Welcome! Did I per chance meet you at the last open house? :scratch: I'm jealous of your outdoor bog! i'm stuck in an apartment... Nothing in the ground for me!

And no, no snickering going on here. lol.. CPs are an addiction.. I started off this season with a handful, 5-6 plants at most... (ok, looks like 8)

The start of this season, being my first...
6135220204_9c1eaeca5b_b.jpg

and recently. lol. (i've added a few more since this photo)
6135206532_440876432d_b.jpg

6134659079_1c47349e65_b.jpg

So your not alone! LOL. We understand here. :)

Yes, I we did meet there, thought I recognized you in the photo. You have a very nice collection! I sent you a PM about something on your wish list I can help you out with.

Welcome! Glad you made it. Looks like you're figuring out the whole forum thing just fine. :)

Andrew

Also, here is a topic about USPS mess ups... I mentioned ours in there on the last page. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128166 Always fun (and sad) to see what the USPS has screwed up NOW.

Also, also... If you need somewhere to host pictures, feel free to sign up at my gallery www.cpforums.org and I will get you approved as soon as I see it come through. May or may not be the easiest one to use... but it works well once you figure it out.

Welcome! Glad you made it. Looks like you're figuring out the whole forum thing just fine. :)

Andrew

Also, here is a topic about USPS mess ups... I mentioned ours in there on the last page. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128166 Always fun (and sad) to see what the USPS has screwed up NOW.

Also, also... If you need somewhere to host pictures, feel free to sign up at my gallery www.cpforums.org and I will get you approved as soon as I see it come through. May or may not be the easiest one to use... but it works well once you figure it out.

Slow, but getting there. Lots of great information on here, glad I decided to take the plunge.

I will definitely check out the gallery, thanks. Is that how people get actual pics in posts without having to redirect to another website like Flickr?

Back