What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings All,

Just found the forum and thought I'd say hi...hi.

I had someone give me a pitcher plant the other day, which is kind of like having someone give you a puppy..."what, oh, well isn't that cute, thank you". I'm mostly joking, but the person knew I keep dart frogs and thought it would fit in well with my other plants. Also, the person was my wife so it's not like I can get rid of it...actually I've been thinking of getting some myself.

Now that you know why I came looking for you all, I have a few questions. I've looked over a few other sites:

http://www.sarracenia.com
http://www.carnivorousplants.org

and a few others and I now know, I don't know what I don't know. I've checked around here and I can't find a "I have no idea what I'm doing" thread.

Here is the plant, my wife was told is S. purpurea. True?

S_purpurea.jpg

Is it true this requires a dormant period?

Post is already a little too lengthy, so I'll stop there. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to terraforums! Yes that plant looks like S. purpurea but it might be S. x catesbaei and yes it needs a winter dormancy. If you live in a temperate area just stick it outside and protect it against frost, if you live in a tropical area you can put it in your fridge in a bag and keep the soil slightly damp.

Welcome to terraforums! Yes that plant looks like S. purpurea but it might be S. x catesbaei and yes it needs a winter dormancy. If you live in a temperate area just stick it outside and protect it against frost, if you live in a tropical area you can put it in your fridge in a bag and keep the soil slightly damp.

Thanks Helilover - I'm an hour south of D.C. Invariably temps will drop below freezing at some time and we get snow. It's in a very small pot, about 2 1/2 in diameter. Does that mean it's the fridge? What about a south facing covered front porch. When should it be moved in and when should it come out? Do I need to make the transition gradually?

Appreciate the help.

Just put it in a big pot after thanksgiving. Put it in a garbage bag and leave it under your porch where it can be protected from wind.

Welcome from Oregon :wave: You will find out lots here, enjoy :-D

Welcome to TF!

Thanks DJ and jim. Yes, I'm already impressed with how much info is here.

Back