What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leafsnap

Hello all,

I'm writing a paper for school about a theoretical product based on existing technologies, and decided to incorporate CP's to keep myself interested. I did some research on plant recognition technologies and found a phone app called Leafsnap. Basically, it's an app that tells you what species of tree you're looking at, and adds the location info to a database to help scientists keep track of populations. Currently it only recognizes trees.

Any ideas on how this could be adapted to CP's? Consider this a brainstorming session, no idea is a bad idea. Some problems that come to mind are that sometimes flowers are the only way to ID CP's like bladderworts, or that the location of endangered species might be info best kept off of a database.

Here are some links about Leafsnap.

http://leafsnap.com/

http://newsdesk.si.edu/releases/computer-science-and-biology-come-together-make-tree-identification-snap

Now if they could make that let you take a pic or sieries of pics of certain plant parts and analyze them it would be da bomb diggity

That's such a cool idea!

Actually, photobucket must use some recognition software because it gives suggestions based on something in the pictures for what I should label things... and when it starts writing out macrophylla when I just barely typed an "m" sometimes it even gets kinda creepy :-))

After you take a picture of a leaf, Leafsnap will show you other parts of the tree like flowers, etc. So your idea is that if you were to take a picture of just a flower, it would ID the plant? Nice one.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

@Thez_yo: I'll have to check that out. That is kind of creepy. Useful, but creepy.

Just realized that I put this in the wrong place. This is more of a general category sort of thing. Does a mod have to move it?

Back