What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Michigan!

Hi!

My name's Bex (Rebecca) and I'm currently living in Lansing, MI, though I was "born and bred" in Australia. I'm a PhD student at MSU (criminology) and I've been interested in carnivorous plants for a couple of years, but only from afar. Now I'm finally in a place where I can set up my own grow racks, so I'm here to pick your brains and get ideas!

My favorite plants are Cephalotus, the various Nepenthes and sundews, but I like all the other plants, too - I just feel like Nepenthes and sundews are within my limited abilities to grow (... we'll see, I guess). My previous plant experience has been limited to planted aquariums. I worked at Preuss Pets for several years and really got into planted tanks. I had pretty good success growing plants underwater, so now I'm venturing into the world of CPs! In addition to my aquariums, I'm interested in all kinds of other animals - I have an American Bulldog, two cats, a short-tailed opossum, and in the past I've also kept cornsnakes, guinea pigs, sugar gliders and axolotls.

I'm really excited to join this forum! I hope to soon post pictures of my set-up-in-progress. Right now, I have a rack and some lights. Next up: Picking plants! :)

Greetings, Bex! You have a member (Mass) living right in your area. He's been talking about getting any interested Michigan folk together. Haven't heard how many Michiganders might be interested nor when he would prefer having such. Look forward to seeing your setup & plants (and even critters ;) ).

VENUSFLYTRAP.jpg

Lansing, Michigan.. ? Never heard of it.. :lol:
Welcome!

Hey, Mass! I saw your posts and was hoping you'd respond. I LOVE that there's so many Michigan people here! I'd definitely be interested in getting together sometime. We could also do orders together, if you're interested in doing some online shopping - we could have stuff shipped to one location so it would be cheaper, then just meet up and hand out the goodies ;)

Michigan is such a cool place for these kinds of hobbies. I think it's because it's so bloody cold for so much of the year, we all have to find things to do inside! I go to lots of reptile shows and fish auctions/club meetings around this area, and there's a big dart frog hobby here, too. LOTS of opportunities to meet cool people and circulate all our used equipment around!

Nice to meet you both!

so many..? There's like 5 of us on TF from Michigan.. Not nearly enough IMO. Which is why I was so happy to see your post. More the merrier..
I don't order a whole lot. Kind of poor folk, so I mostly stick to trading. If there's something in particular you are looking for though, I'm sure I could easily locate it for you. If I don't already have it that is. DanD drives down from the Saginaw area every couple of weeks. He calls me his one stop CP shop. :lol: I think it's the freebies that keeps him coming back. ;)

Oh, and I love Michigan too. Just not in the winter.

Poor folk are the best folk. I'm a grad student, I know how it is. I shouldn't even be spending money on plants, but... hey, a girl needs her hobbies. It just so happens I have a lot of hobbies. A lot of expensive hobbies. Oh well, grocery shopping can wait one more week, right?

haha.. get a food card. We get to blow nearly $600 a month of food. Leaves more money to spend on plants.

Welcome to TF! You came to the right place...cephs here are one of the most favorite :D

I LOVE Cephs. I especially love them because they're Australian. They're just soooo gnarly-looking, much like all the other flora and fauna of my home country ;) I really want to try growing them but I'm totally intimidated... they seem pretty delicate! I've read that they're really slow-growing... Oh well, I'll have to pick up a baby plant and see what I can do!

Hello from another person in Michigan! Although quite a ways away...

My ceph collection just took a pretty big hit due to me trying to grow them in LFS rather than peat. But it's okay, I still have a few here. Plus a bunch more coming in spring when the weather allows us to ship again.

Hey Bex! Although I'm not in Michigan, I'm also an Aussie expat. Born in Sydney, where my extended family still resides, but I was really "raised" in Texas. Living in Oregon now..

When did you move to the states?

Hi, Mato! So nice to see another Aussie :)

I was born in Sydney, too (RPA in Camperdown), then we moved to Wollongong for a little while, then down to Melbourne, and then to the U.S. in November 1998. I still call the Illawarra area home. I was just there over Christmas - got married in Kiama, where my grandmother lives. My extended family is all there, too. I moved to the U.S. with my parents and sisters because Dad's job brought him here. I really want to get home... I miss the lifestyle. The weather's not bad, either ;) My husband and I are thinking about applying for jobs at ANU in Canberra. Not exactly a holiday town, but at least we'd be back in the country.

Welcome to TF! I'm the lone New Yorker. Mass and I are also cat lovers.

Back