What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Drosera capensis Mutation!!!

Creepy

Creepy
Hey :)

I'm only a new member here and still figuring out how things works.

Im hoping that someone might be able to help me out with something thats driving absolutely insane!!!
Anyways... I have a few Drosera capensis plants that have developed this weird fussed flower head mutution... I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, like is my plant ok ??? lol

Picture below...

photo.php

Probably not the best picture though sorry.

Last edited:
I have had some do that on occasion. Your plants look healthy.

Here's your image if others can't see it

426235_397491910267988_148190908531424_1729124_1123691775_n.jpg

Yes, this happens now and then. I thought I had a picture of one of mine from last year but maybe not. As a bonus you get even more seed, not that you really want more.

lol thanx for bringing the pic up for me, I couldn't figure out why it wasnt working :D

And ah ok, as long as theres nothing wrong with my plants im happy and omg yes im being taken over by my capensis plant!!! im starting to run out of room for them all

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

+ also you have a great collection :)

lol thanx for bringing the pic up for me, I couldn't figure out why it wasnt working :D

And ah ok, as long as theres nothing wrong with my plants im happy and omg yes im being taken over by my capensis plant!!! im starting to run out of room for them all

I started cutting off the flowers before they go to seed as I had a forest of capes in my bog in a very short period of time and even germinating in the duck weed in the pond!

D. capensis will take over the world! :mwahaha:

Lol :D
yeah i started doing that aswell (cutting off the flower heads) i didnt do it for a few years but i surely regret it now, there popping up everywhere!!! even in my other plant pots which are at least 6metres aways from my Sundews.

Yes, I try to clip my flowers unless I actually want seed for some demented reason. And I have an annual South African Drosera weeding day when I pull out pilles of unwanted Drosera capensis and D. nidiformis.

South African Drosera have an almost magical ability to spread far and wide. They turn up in places you would think possible. I've found D. nidiformis appearing in Utricularia pots that were started long before D. nidiformis showed up in my collection - and the pots are covered with humidity domes that are almost never removed. One begins to suspect the power of teleportation.

However I suspect the long springy flower stalks are to blame. Instead of an evolutionary development to isolate the flowers (and prey) from the lure of the sticky trap leaves it is a seed dispersal mechanism. Nature's version of a ball throwing stick as it were. One only needs to look at the very short scapes of many of the tuberous Drosera or Drosera meristocaulis to see that long scapes are not necessary for the survival of the species. Still these are in different ecosystems and the scapes may have evolved in response to the pollinator and prey populations.

Back