What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the addictive world of cps!

Hi everyone. I'm Kathy and I'm growing carnivorous plants here in Montana, the arctic tundra of the United States! :) It's great to hear there are others out there addicted to these amazing plants. I'm hoping with the cool summer nights we have here I might be able to grow some of the more challenging cps. I look forward to reading everyone's posts!
Thanks for your time and as always....happy growing!

Welcome to the maddness.:wave: I slipped quietly into the world of cps via orchids..got some sundews to help control the fungus gnats on the orchid racks. What cps do you grow already?

Big Sky Country? Welcome to TF! Fortunately, many plants can grow inside, on window sills or artificial lighting, if and when outside growing is prohibitive. What do you have right now and what are you looking to grow?

:welcome: Welcome to TF. What CPs are you growing currently?

Welcome!!

welcome to tf

Hails. Welcome.

Growing in Montana

Thanks for all the replies! I started getting plants back in September. I started with some standard Venus fly traps a few Sarracenia varieties like purpurea. Then I really started buying.... Pinguicula was next John rizzi and laueana. I have three nepenthes plants. N. Bicalcarata, N.Hamata x platychila and N. Mirabilis var globosa. I have some drosera like spathulata, alicia, binata, prolifera, adelae and I just noticed my drosera regia seeds have sprouted! I have two cephalotus follicularis one a hummers giant and last two heliamphora one minor the other heterodoxa x minor. I found myself wanting one of every type! Oh I'm soooooooo addicted! My last addition is a dewy pine which I just got. So that sums it up basically. Oh, just noticed my Bybis liniflora seeds germinated. That is me summed up. Sorry for not listing my plants, I'm sure that would have been much easier to read! So far everything has been going good. I've been fighting with the aphids on my Venus fly traps but I think I am starting to win the war!

If you're into the Mexican butterworts, just give me a holllar. I have a good variety.

Welcome to TF!

Thanks for all the replies! I started getting plants back in September. I started with some standard Venus fly traps a few Sarracenia varieties like purpurea. Then I really started buying.... Pinguicula was next John rizzi and laueana. I have three nepenthes plants. N. Bicalcarata, N.Hamata x platychila and N. Mirabilis var globosa. I have some drosera like spathulata, alicia, binata, prolifera, adelae and I just noticed my drosera regia seeds have sprouted! I have two cephalotus follicularis one a hummers giant and last two heliamphora one minor the other heterodoxa x minor. I found myself wanting one of every type! Oh I'm soooooooo addicted! My last addition is a dewy pine which I just got. So that sums it up basically. Oh, just noticed my Bybis liniflora seeds germinated. That is me summed up. Sorry for not listing my plants, I'm sure that would have been much easier to read! So far everything has been going good. I've been fighting with the aphids on my Venus fly traps but I think I am starting to win the war!

Impressive list for just starting out! Cephs and dewys are some of my favorites. Would love to see pics of your plants.

Interested to hear how you handle your outdoor CPs in winter and how long a growing season you get there. I had an opportunity to move to West Yellowstone a while back, but the CPs were one of the reasons I did not, on top of not knowing if I could handle the long cold winters, LOL.

Thank you Jim. I will keep that in mind!! I can always make room for one more plant :)

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Impressive list for just starting out! Cephs and dewys are some of my favorites. Would love to see pics of your plants.

Interested to hear how you handle your outdoor CPs in winter and how long a growing season you get there. I had an opportunity to move to West Yellowstone a while back, but the CPs were one of the reasons I did not, on top of not knowing if I could handle the long cold winters, LOL.
This past winter I kept all of my plants inside. Those like the fly traps and pitcher plants that go dormant got moved to a north east window at night I would pull the blinds over them to get them close to the window and they stayed about 50 degrees. I'm not sure about moving them outside this winter since our normal temps stay below freezing most of the time in December and january. Our growing season is so short. Veggies don't go outside until early June however getting a freeze is possible. Getting a freeze in September is also possible. The winters are long but once you are here you get use to it and the summers..... they make it so worth it.

I will try to get some pictures posted!
Have great day!

Back