What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grower from socal

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I have been in the hobby for a few months now. Like most I got a vft, and nepenthes from lowes and that started it all. Since then I have been reading like crazy and searching the forum trying to learn all I can.
I love this community though. People in this hobby are very generious and that becomes addictive. It feels good to share not only information but the plants as well.

I think my next step is to take plants from the house to my patio. So now I am searching for sarracenia that can handle the SoCal weather and planning a small bog. We will see how it evolves....

Hails, welcome to the forum. I started with a Lowe's nepenthes too. Would love to see a pic of yours. I'm still fairly new here but have also enjoyed my time here. I would think Sarracenias would do very well in your area.

Hi! I'm in Southern CA too... in San Diego county. Where are you at?
Here I just keep all my my temperate plants (including sarrs and vfts) outdoors on my balcony year round, regardless of the weather. They flourish. :D.... so I don't see why you should have a problem.

Hails, welcome to the forum. I started with a Lowe's nepenthes too. Would love to see a pic of yours. I'm still fairly new here but have also enjoyed my time here. I would think Sarracenias would do very well in your area.
I have quite a few lowes plants. All seem to be doing well but I am ready for some upgraded stock ;)

As requested!
7f90068a.jpg

bea8288c.jpg

Hi! I'm in Southern CA too... in San Diego county. Where are you at?
Here I just keep all my my temperate plants (including sarrs and vfts) outdoors on my balcony year round, regardless of the weather. They flourish. :D.... so I don't see why you should have a problem.

I live in the inland empire. So it's pretty dry and gets hot! But I would love to round up some Starr's and give it a go.

Those are great. Sadly my first one died when I got sick last summer and couldn't care for my plants. Would love to trade you something for one. I think as long as you keep your sarrs wet they should be ok. I like the tray method and you can check the water in the tray daily. I may have a fairly big Sarr I can divide and trade for a nep if you're interested. But I need to check. I've never divided one before so I need to learn how.

I will always entertain a trade. My trick was I got lowes to place a order so I knew the plants would be fresh. When the shipment came they called me and I went to take my pick.

I sent you a PM

does anyone know what species this nepenthes is because i also bought this tropical pitcher plant from Lowe's but can't seem to figure out what species it is im new to TerraForums trynna get used to it.

Welcome to TF!

does anyone know what species this nepenthes is because i also bought this tropical pitcher plant from Lowe's but can't seem to figure out what species it is im new to TerraForums trynna get used to it.

Its either N. ventricosa or N. X ventrata

HHHMM

yeah it looks more like a N. X ventrata ...

I SHALL post pictures of my CPs i also grow in CA Outdoors Strictly... im trynna get used to the forum:p){

I have 8 Lowe's Nepenthes. I originally only got two, but a few weeks ago 6 were in the clearance for $2.42 each so I picked them all up. They clerk said that they were in the clearance because they were not selling. They were almost perfect. Mine all look like the one in the post. I thought they were N ventricosa. They look quite a bit alike. Is there any way to tell which it may be? or is it just a coin toss? ???

Wow. That's a great find. I would have bought them all too. Harden those babies off and you could start trading for others.
Where in SoCal did you find those?

I think technically it is La Habra. I actually contacted Gublers Orchids, they distribute the plants in the round pot with the cup taped on top, and talked to a young lady there. She let me know the delivery schedule for the two closest stores to me and has made sure that their orders contain as much variety as possible. I have gotten two D spathulata from them as well as a Ping that I accidentally cooked. :0o: She is making sure that there are a few on the next order. I hope to grab two or three. I hope that helps.

Thats funny. I was calling and bugging gubler as well. They gave me a schedule.
Thanks for the info

Where are you in So Cal?

Rancho c

Im in Fullerton, not too far. You should come to the LACPS meeting in August. It is at the Alhambra chamber of commerce.

Back