What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello From St Petersburg FL :)

Hello everyone!
Thank you for letting me be part of this great forum. I've always kept VFT ever since I moved to the states since I never had the space for any other plants. Now that I purchased my first house I can finally get what I want! "lol" I have Sarracenia's and drosera But just Recently fell in love with nepenthes. so Highland Green house it is. No worries I already can't sleep thinking on the money to keep a green house cool in Florida. "lol" Looking forward to learn from the members expertise on these beautiful plants.

Last edited:
:welcome:

Try lowlanders. If I'm not mistaken (florida people strike me down if I am wrong) they can grow outside. May your collection and knowledge grow, as well as your plants :)!

Thank you :) Yes I believe lowlander do great in my area. I only have a Miranda that I rescued from a flea market. it had no pitchers. I keep it outside by my pond on full sun and is doing great. But I love the beauty of highlanders :( I have a N. Lowii x truncata & a N. robcantleyi I keep those in my room. I think N. merrilliana would be my next lowlander. :)

Welcome to TF! :-D
Most lowlanders do great on windowsills too. And for HL neps, an easier and cheaper way to start might be an aquarium tank/ terrarium if you don't want to go straight to the greenhouse.

Things I have learned:
Don't count on rain- depending on how many outside plants you end up with (sarrs, drosera, pings even), you may need to invest in a RO filter or get setup with a water company to deliver a tank of RO water. If you only have a small tray full, then buying a gallon of distilled water as needed will be fine.
The weather used to be reliable, but with shifting patterns it no longer is. A few years ago we had an unusual and devastating winter, and while last year's wasn't as severe, we had plenty of cold spells. A lowland greenhouse would fare better outside, but it will need heating in the fall/winter.
If you have a spare room/space in your house, and central AC, then you go grow intermediates and highlanders easily.

Iwest I'm growing my two HL on a windowsill, so far they ok. they are still acclimating. temperature's in the house don't go above 80F and at night i have a window unit in the room set to 60. tomorrow I'm picking up a humidifier to add to the room. Lizasaur I agree with you. the weather has been crazy so I'm even afraid of getting too many highlanders because I don't know what to do on the winter. I'm getting one of those greenhouse kits and set it up for highlanders with ac unit and misting system etc. But until I get that pine tree down I will keep them in my room lol

Finally another Floridian. I'm no longer the only one. Welcome. I'm going to be building a special greenhouse for my highlanders too. Right not I have to to put them in a fridge at night which sucks for the extra work. You're not far from me. I'm from Tampa.

Thagirion! I work in Tampa Live in ST Pete. great to know someone lives close! wohoo! lol man for real? well I only have two HL and I keep the ac at 60 with the window unit i put in the room. during the day the room and the house stays around 80 since, they are on a south west window on a stand I made. & thank you for the Welcoming

Highlanders in winter are not a concern if you're growing them inside. We don't even turn on the heating unless it's 40-50 inside, and even then, it doesn't get that cold in the house...it is only slightly cooler than when minimally running the AC in the summer, and the plants only seem to appreciate the lowered temps. They go from good to great. Actually, they could even grow happily outside in winter, assuming it's not too severe outside.

Favian, that's cool. I see you're Latino too. My family is originally from El Salvador. But I'm an American born in the U.S.

Welcome to TF!

Lizasaur That's a good point I might move my HL outside over the winter here! Very cool Thagirion I was born and raised in Puerto Rico.

Thank you Jimscott! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Cool85k5, great Sarracenia Avatar!

Back