What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,

Glad to be a part of this community! I am from the bay area which is in northern california, and am so glad to have found such a thrilling hobby! =) I look forward to learning, growing, and sharing with anyone who is willing. =)

My girlfriend pointed out some nepenthes in a store to me a year ago, and all i can say is it's been a ride since! =D =D We didn't grab them that day, instead we went home and did a little research, some of which came from older post here. I think it was the very next day that I strolled down to the little specialties japanese nursery on polk st in san francisco and found out that the plants were gone! I asked the shop owner (whom now I've become sort've friends with) what happened to them, and he began to explain to me a little bit about the plants. After our conversation I learned that he would order me 2 small Nepenthes Alta otherwise known as the pitcher plant, and that they would be in by the end of the week! Boiling with excitement, I cooked dinner early for a few days, worked on new tracks, made sure me and the misses got to bed a little early, and oh so much more to make every day go by faster! When the day came I went to the shop and came back to her house with our new plants we were STOKED! I mean like so excited that you could give us all the sedatives in the world and we would still be racing with joy! =)

I headed on the train and went home, and within 2 days a neighbor started asking about my new plant that I had put outside. I explained about it's carnivorous nature, and her kids eyes grew larger and larger! She told me that she had tried growing a Venus Flytrap and that she had just failed a lot. I told her I was still learning and to give me to the end of the week to figure out how hard it is to grow the "pitcher plant". Long story short..

I ordered her a hamata x platychila at the time knowing nothing about CPs, and ordered myself a n.spectabilis "giant" . She didn't think the hamta was as pretty as my Alta, and also felt that she might need some time before she tried to grow the plant. That sparked me to today where I have now 30 Nepenthes of different varieties (some seedlings which have just sprouted), 3 Sarracenias, a Drosera (it flowered this year, so now I am sowing it's seeds! =) ), a Dionaea muscipula, and a Pinguicula.

A lot of what little success I've had with seeds, almost near deaths, and so much more has come from lurking around this forum! I am so grateful to now be a part of this community! Thanks for having me

welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of cp growers in the bay area. You should also make a growlist! :)

Great introduction. Welcome to TerraForums. You're fortunate to live in an area with a very large and diverse CP growing community.

Great introduction. Welcome to TerraForums. You're fortunate to live in an area with a very large and diverse CP growing community.

Hey Not a Number, thanks for the welcome! =)

Looking forward to meeting some of them, as well as people from all corners of the world! =) I've only acquired a few of my plants from people locally in the time we started, the others I've had sent to me as seed and cuttings. So to meet some locals to share and such with is going to be SO GREAT! =)

welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of cp growers in the bay area. You should also make a growlist! :)

Hey Heli,

Thanks for the welcome, as I mentioned I look forward to meeting them! =) I'll try to figure out the growlist thing after I get back from getting beer! Mm beer

Well that was certainly a title :lol: Welcome!

there's a show and sale coming up this saturday at the Garden Center, in Lakeside Park (12-4). you should definitely go there to check out some plants. bring cash, but be strong willed, lots of nice things are sold.

You... You ordered her a hamata x platychila? :0o:

Welcome to the forum!

Hello neighbor!

Just like Daisybell said, since you live in Oakland, you ARE going to the annual show, right? You can't miss it, it's behind Fairyland. After my first one about 5 years ago, I haven't missed a one since.

I'm not going to say how much I spent last year. :blush:

Welcome to TF!

@ thez_yo - Thanks =D

@ amphirion - will be the other halfs day off, if she's up for going, we will be there! bubbling with excitement! =)

@ Pineapple - haha i know right! looking back I get a good laugh out of it, but I had no clue and still don't

@ Lil Stinkpot - thanks for the welcome and the invite as well. so glad to meet, well sort've meet more bay area CP lovers! =)

@ jim scott - Thanks! =)

Last edited:
you have eddie seedlings? Very nice! :D

you have eddie seedlings? Very nice! :D

I got lucky as a friend spotted a plant that had pods that isn't on national park land! He's scouting for more now, if he does get them will let others know

whoa thats incredible! I envy you :p Have any of the seeds sprouted yet?

Not yet, I actually just got them in the post this week =) Will keep an update, since now I have so many people to share with! =) =) =)

Haha good luck with them!

Back