What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from Upstate NY

Very cool Exo! I've seen it hit -21F or less up here, usually around my birthday (end of January). I think our record was -39F, but that was around 1930. Still, I have a friend in southern Alaska that has better winter temps! It was so cold that my husband was out doing training around that time and they couldn't even let them stay in the tents with the heating, they had to bring everyone in - which they don't usually do here.

Speaking of, I've been up for an hour and it's up to 54F now, when I got up, I put on sweats and debated turning the heater on. We were part of that huge storm system yesterday so all of the CP's were brought in the night before due to the wind. I'm glad I did, it looked like Wizard of Oz out there - took my BBQ grill out and a few lawn chairs. I was afraid to leave them out because the wind has taken my glass topped patio table and dumped it (shattered) so didn't want them getting that kind of abuse. They seemed happy enough sitting under my grow lights yesterday and last night. Back outside right now though.

Jim, love your grow list! I have a S. Leucophylla "Tarnok" coming and a S. Love Bug just yet, both are large and flowering size. :) You have a nice Drosera collection I see too!
Also, the P "John Rizzi" very nice! All of you NY'ers have awesome collections!

My neighbor cracks me up, she sent me a text at the crack of dawn saying "I stole some of your flowers this morning for my husbands birthday breakfast, I hope you won't mind" and sent me a picture XD I have a huge bush of Marigolds she pilfered this morning, I don't mind a bit, but made me feel accomplished my neighbor is ganking my flowers, hehe.

Last edited:
haha lake placid is real close another week or two and it will be almost peak foliage too. i work in lake placid, SL is only 10 min away. If you get up here let me know ill send you to a spot you can enjoy CPS in the wild growing free in their natural habitat.

I think they do the weekend getaway sometime in November - I might get to do it this year if I'm on the ball!

well they may be burried in snow by then the mountains open in thanksgiving for skiing

Yeah.... I think we can do some 'business'!

Oh yeah? :) What are you looking for in particular?

S. Leucophylla
S. RubraS. X "Judith Hindle"
S. "Love Bug"
D. Spatulata
D. Natalensis
D. Venusta

I have P. esseriana for free!

The Drosera I should have in abundance by this spring. The person who sent me seeds didn't just send me a few seeds, he sent the whole stalk off each plant! LOL. The Love Bug I may be able to split when I get it, they are out of someones collection and are supposed to be large (looks good sized by that persons photos on forums) - I'll see what it looks like when I get it here and if I can split it, I'll let you know :) Would only take a day to mail too. :)

Oh you have a Dana's Delight! That's on my want list. I'd be happy to share my plethora of Drosera when they come up. :)

Page 3 and I'm just now saying hello?
Such a slacker!

HELLO!! :wave:
welcome to the addiction..

PM'd

Back