What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Hi! I'm a newcomer here, and a relative newcomer to CPs. Because of space limitations, grandkids and animals I don't do any indoor growing but in the last couple of seasons I've been trying to slowly redo my property with plants indigenous to the area. Last spring I took a half of a poly barrel and put a few inches of crushed stone on the bottom, installed a piece of 1.5"pvc as a stand pipe and filled it with a 50/50 mix of peat moss and sand. A couple buckets of RO water and I had a bog! I stocked it with a Venus Fly Trap and a few Sarracenias of box store origin, and some live moss that had seedlings of D. rotundifolia growing in it, along with a few Cranberries. Things went well, and towards the end of the summer I stopped by Meadowview on my way to the Outer Banks and pcked up some really nice Sarracenias, along with a bunch of other bog plants. This necessitated a second barrel of course! I figured on keeping the barrels outside all winter and that's what I did. We had a pretty cold winter here, including a rare week where temps never hit freezing. And to top it off it was also a bit dry, at least until the very end of winter. Everything came through like a champ! The VFT ate a bug the other day with a trap that survived the winter and is growing a bunch of new ones, one of the box store Purple Pitchers has a flower bud, and the Sarracenia "Lemon" that I got from Phil has 5 flowers on the way! Anyway I look forward to learning from you guys, and hope I can help out a bit on the way. I setup and maintain aquaria for a living, and have worked with most of the critters even the most unique among us keep!

I know what a hard winter is ! I live in Canada lol

Welcome to TF :)

Thanks! I spent a winter in a cabin with no plumbing near Jay VT one winter, so I know that it really doesn't even get cold around here!

Welcome!! I am in the Lehigh Valley area. I have also ordered from Phil before. His plants are very hardy, but I did almost lose one of his last winter. Our winters are a little harsh to keep them out all winter sometimes without mulch or protection. I moved mine in the garage this winter when it got real cold and now all of my plants are happy and flowering. Good luck and happy growing!!

Welcome to TF. I used to participate with SEPACPS, when I was living in Wyomissing, near Reading.

Back