What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from South London UK - Nepenthes owner!

Hey everyone!

I live in South London, UK and own a Nepenthes Alata. I've always loved carniverous plants but had very little success with them to date over the years. I always bought Venus Flytraps and they always died within months :(

However my nepenthes from last summer is doing well, albeit without new traps yet, just lots of new leaves. I'm hoping this is purely down to the time of year and that it's only now getting warmish and sunny.

Jack

Hello Jack! Welcome to the forums. I see you joined in December, but have not posted until now, glad you decided to.

I know your weather is quite a bit different from ours, but it sounds like your Nepenthes may not be getting enough humidity. A Nepenthes will grow well, produce new leaves and may even start to vine, but without the proper humidity will not produce pitchers. Do pitchers at least start to form? Is it growing in the same place it was last year or at least comparable conditions? My alata started putting out pitchers in February, when the temps we more steady in the 70's and humidity was only about 65%. What conditions (temp/humidity) is the Nepenthes in now?

Hello,

If you want to learn how to grow a flytrap, you will have no problem doing so thanks to the amazing resources on this forum :)

Kenny

Welcome to TF!

Hey, welcome to TerraForums! :D

Hello Jack! Welcome to the forums. I see you joined in December, but have not posted until now, glad you decided to.

I know your weather is quite a bit different from ours, but it sounds like your Nepenthes may not be getting enough humidity. A Nepenthes will grow well, produce new leaves and may even start to vine, but without the proper humidity will not produce pitchers. Do pitchers at least start to form? Is it growing in the same place it was last year or at least comparable conditions? My alata started putting out pitchers in February, when the temps we more steady in the 70's and humidity was only about 65%. What conditions (temp/humidity) is the Nepenthes in now?

Hello,

If you want to learn how to grow a flytrap, you will have no problem doing so thanks to the amazing resources on this forum :)

Kenny

Thanks everyone! I registered back in Dec but remember at the time it took a while for my account to be approved, I only just remembered about it :)

The pitchers do kind of start to form, the leaf grows with the shoot at the end and what you can see is the start of a pitcher but it never goes past that. It's currently by a window in the bathroom, it has been cold though until the last week. How can I work out the humidity? I have been misting it, although I think I read on here that isn't really going to help with humidity.

I quite like the idea of having a flytrap in a small terrarium to help with humidity.

hello Jack,nice to have another uk grower,flytraps do very well without a terrarium,the best place for them i find is outside for me in a cheapo plastic propagator or on a very sunny window sill,not using suitable water is the common way people kill them or in the wrong soil mix,have a look in the flytrap section on here lots of info,i do not grow n.alata myself but am pretty sure i read it likes it on the warmer side,to read humidity you can by a cheap digital thermometer and humidity gauge only 10-15 quid,am sure if you take your questions to the relevant sections of the forum you will get lots of good quality help enjoy and persevere :-D

hello Jack,nice to have another uk grower,flytraps do very well without a terrarium,the best place for them i find is outside for me in a cheapo plastic propagator or on a very sunny window sill,not using suitable water is the common way people kill them or in the wrong soil mix,have a look in the flytrap section on here lots of info,i do not grow n.alata myself but am pretty sure i read it likes it on the warmer side,to read humidity you can by a cheap digital thermometer and humidity gauge only 10-15 quid,am sure if you take your questions to the relevant sections of the forum you will get lots of good quality help enjoy and persevere :-D

Thanks, you convinced me, I just ordered a venus fly trap from Little Shop of Horrors :)

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources here to help you out with your plants.

I finally got a reader and the temp is sitting nicely at 20 C (70s) and humidity is 65%+, so I'm guessing it must not be getting enough direct sunlight to produce pitchers?

Back