What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everybody, my name is Jennifer and I live in Savannah, Ga. I am new to CP's but I am an avid orchidist. Although I am a novice this is my 3rd year growing VFT, though I am ashamed to admit I had no idea they were a NC native. What really sparked my new obsession was being given a copy of the new revised edition of "The Savage Garden", from reading I discovered a whole new world of wonderful plants to cultivate. I am just beginning but I am having so much fun, I have in recent weeks acquired a few plants, with which I plan to start a mini bog soon in one of those little pools. I also took a trip to the Okefenokee wildlife refuge to see some plants in the wild, which was a special trip because I grew up very close to there and I never knew how wonderful that place was, also another shame, lol.

Altogether I am just growing a few species and a few hybrids of Sarracenia, Drosera, And Dionea, but I am hoping to get some pings soon and maybe one Nepenthes for those palmetto bugs we have flying around here in the summer, but that is for next year. Right now my focus is on acquiring some good plants and getting my hands dirty with my new bog, and learning to grow Sarracenia and Drosera from seed, as these are my favorite species.

I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have to share and I look forward to learning from ya'll.

Welcome, Jennifer! I was rather surprised to learn just how close some of these awesome plants grow, too. It's part of what made me interested in these plants, too. You're in the perfect place to grow lots of Sars and Drosera!

Welcome to TF!

Welcome! You should look into joining your local CP societies such as the CCPS. I'm very jealous of your trip to the okefenokee swamp I would love to go there! Again welcome to Terraforuns!

Thanks for the friendly welcoming, I am very excited about some new seeds I just ordered from the ICPS seed bank, I got a D. hookeri (peltata var foliosa), D. auriculata, and Utricularia subulata. I am excited about starting these seeds and watching them grow through the winter.

Mossy girl, I have family near DC and was just at the National Arbortoreum for the blooming of the corpse flower, Amorphophallus titanum. I saw some really nice examples there of Sarracenia that made me very happy, though they didn't have many. Do you know of any place in Va that Sarracenia grows naturally? I would love to take my niece and nephew around to look for natural treasure in their own backyard

That must have been awesome to see! Unfortunately I'm too far from DC to make it a day trip. I'm all the way in southern VA, literally on the border with NC. Too far west for Sarracenia, tho. When I said close, I meant relatively. I'm about 4 hours from Wilmington (to give you an idea of my location). As for sites in Virginia, I haven't personally been to any, but I want to get up and see Meadowview Research Station and some of the surrounding protected lands.

Welcome to the forum, Scarlett.

I'm in Northern Virginia close to DC. Unfortunately, there are very few truly native Sarracenia sites in the Commonwealth, either flava or purpurea. Meadowview (just south of Fredericksburg) is an option, and I have been led to believe that the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden near Richmond has a nice collection as well. There is also a (very) small native bog garden at Meadowlark Botanic Garden in Vienna, VA with Sarracenia (I don't find it very impressive, however, although it is a beautiful place to visit for other plants).

There is one private CP nursery in the Maryland suburbs of DC that will allow visits with an appointment, and some individual hobbyists (myself included) that are happy to have people come by and see.

Okefenokee is just the beginning of the places you'll go (to misquote Dr. Seuss). There are many wonderful natural protected places to see Sarracenia: Francis Marion National Forest in SC, Santee Coastal Preserve, Lewis Ocean and Cartweel Bays, and then in NC ..... :) You get the picture.

Jay

Welcome Jennifer !

jlechtm - thanks for all the info on the places to marvel at sarracenia in the wild. I will put it to good use. I will also stop by the cp spot in Maryland the next time I am up visiting, probably next spring.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me, it was very nice of you.

- ScarletBelle

Hey ScarletBelle,

I'm in Savanah too! :D

I have a burning orchid question I would like to ask: Can you think of any aquatic orchids? They live in almost every other niche!

Welcome to the forum, even thought I am new too. :p

Welcome Jen. I'm also in a low lying area. I live in Maryland in a critical wetlands area on the west side of the Chesapeake Bay. If we ever get a VA/DC/MD meet-up together maybe you could venture up. I also grow orchids and love having outside bogs.

Back