What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello ... and how to change forum date display?

Hi, I'm new here. I grow Nepenthes, Drosera and Dionaea on windowsills and outdoor decks in a warm-temperate climate. I'm only a couple of years in but have found my stride succeeding with these plants, so I really hope to add to my collection.

Now, a question about this forum: Even though I am logged in and the forum knows my time zone, it's still displaying dates in the unusual North American '2-1-3' format. How can I change this to a regular 1-2-3 format please? I have had a look in settings but can't spot the control for this. Is there one? My poor brain can't cope with reading dates starting in the middle...then left...then all the way right :suspect:.

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure the date format is set globally for the whole forum and not changeable by users. Sorry. :-\

Hello Delilah, this is Hardy from slippertalk :)

Welcome to the forums!

I know what you mean about the date, its just another thing that we do here that doesn't make much sense (the temperature system, the entire customary measurement system...)

Thank you :)

And yes, will ya stop it already? I'm lucky, being of the generation that crossed from imperial to metric in nursery school 40 years ago, so I can just about cope with Pounds, Miles and Fahrenheit - I mean juuuust, with charts - as well as with the delightfully simple Kilograms, Kilometres and Centigrade.

But mangled dates on gardening sites still give me a headspin... 7/2/13 Is that 2nd July (Summer there;Winter here) or 7th February (Winter there; Summer here)? Ouch.

:)

Now that I think of it, how do North Americans abbreviate, say, 10th Nov, without a year? The rest of the world writes 10/11.
Or, say, Nov 2013, without a day? The rest of the world writes 11/13.

... but that wouldn't make sense in the US (would it?) How do you abbreviate just day+month and month+year?

Nvm read your question wrong.

Welcome to TF! 11/10/13 is how we abbreviate it. When ya think about it, it's not logical, in a deductive sense. It should be: 13/11/10, for year, month, day... or 10/11/13. Day / Month: 10/11. Month / year: 11/13. You "come from the land down under"? What exactly is a 'vegamite sandwich/

hey delilah :-D Welcome to tfs !

It's a poor copy of a Marmite sandwich :-D

I used to think so too...but it's really quite good! As tends to happen, I now prefer Vegemite.

More specifically, jimscott, it's a sandwich made with a dark brown savoury yeast concentrate spread. Gawd knows how they make it, but it's great stuff on toast with butter!

LOL! Do you know where I came up with this reference?

Last edited:
I Googled 'Marmite Sandwich':

Marmite (/ˈmɑrmaɪt/ mar-myt) is the brand name for two similar food spreads: the original British version, since 2000 a Unilever product; and a modified version produced in New Zealand by Sanitarium Health Food Company and distributed in Australasia and the Pacific. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite, the Swiss Cenovis and the German Vitam-R.
The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it."
A version with a different flavour[1] has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919. This is the only product sold as Marmite in Australasia and the Pacific, whereas elsewhere in the world the British version predominates.
The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite" (French: [maʁmit]), a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot.[2] British Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but since the 1920s has been sold in glass jars of approximately the same shape.[3] A thinner version in squeezable plastic jars was introduced in March 2006.

220px-Marmite.jpg

A version with a different flavour[1] has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919. This is the only product sold as Marmite in Australasia and the Pacific, whereas elsewhere in the world the British version predominates.

Right!!! Or, roight!!! That explains it. Sacrilege! :angry:

Ever hear this song?

...or Crocodile Dundee?

Yes, yes, all of that and more.

How about this one?

You're unstoppable, aren't you, jimscott?

I challenge you not to answer that :grin:.

Back