What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone!!

I'm Kevin and I'm extremely excited to finally be a part of Terraforums. I've been involved in horticulture for almost a decade. A VFT and an S. flava were my first two plants ever. Determined not to kill them, I came upon terraforums, D'Amato, and Barry Rice. The plant bug bit me, and I have just kept collecting ever since.

I have also formulated my career around plants. I am a research horticulturist at a major southern university, managing two 5,000 sqft greenhouses within a larger complex. Mostly, I grow crop plants such as rice, corn, and sunflowers. A bit of my job revolves around maintaining a collection of plants for teaching purposes. This collection is roughly divided into CPs, primitive plants (algae>moss>ferns>gymnosperms), and flowering tropicals (esp. orchids, cacti/succulents, bromeliads). My department even has a lab researching Sarracenia. I have loved plant conservation for a long time. Previously, I've participated in mountain bog restoration in north Georgia with S. purpurea and cooperated with the Atlanta Botanical Garden's Jenny Cruse-Sanders and Ron Determann to help the federally endangered Dwarf Sumac. I also create a huge exhibit of CPs for a nearby botanical garden each year and talk to hundreds of people about them. Not to mention I help out and donate CPs to several schoolteachers who use them in their lesson plans. I am passionate about plants but it's especially rewarding to give plants to people and get them hooked too!

As of right now, I have grown hundreds of taxa from most of the major families. This involves the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, many of which I use on my CPs with great success. I consider my strengths my wide range of plant experience and my ability to diagnose and treat a myriad of problems. I love playing plant doctor and hopefully I can help others out when I have time. Though I enjoy growing almost all plants, I am especially attracted to CPs and cacti and collect them like a madman. My favorite plants in the world are the sundews. I would love to expand my personal and work collection if that's possible.

I have been lurking around here long enough so now I'm hoping to make things official :)!

Welcome! You sound like a great resource, and I'm sure we can hook you up with more sundews.

Hey Kevin, this is Shawn Lyons (UGA hort major, recently graduated and started hort PhD program at Cornell University). I'm almost 100% sure I've talked to you/had classes with you before.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome, Kevin. It sounds like you are bringing some serious knowledge to the TF table. I'm sure your research and findings will be of great value here.

Paul

Hey Kevin, this is Shawn Lyons (UGA hort major, recently graduated and started hort PhD program at Cornell University). I'm almost 100% sure I've talked to you/had classes with you before.

Red hair, dreadlocks, took Affolter's herbs/medicinal plants class? I think I remember you but I never knew your last name. Anyhow, I also have one of your Aloe 'Blue Elf's and a Golden Barrel from your project that are massive now. I'll have to get around to pics. Congrats on starting at Cornell!

And thanks for the warm wishes everyone. Like I said, I usually am pressed for free time but I will try to jump in and give some advice on saving dying plants if I can :)

Back