What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,

I've been lurking here for a while without posting and since I have decided to get further into the hobby I thought I had better introduce myself. I first became interested in carnivorous plants when I red an article on Sarracenia in a magazine, I couldn't find any at any if the local plant stores so I settled for a vft from bunnings, a few weeks later I found a Sarracenia purpurea hybrid at another store and bought that. I grew them successfully for a few months but they died when I went on holidays for three weeks and left them with the house sitter to water. A few years later I bought a N. ventrata and I had that for several years and it ended up with several 4-5 foot long vines but it ended up dieing during a heat wave and I didn't keep the water up to it.

Last year I started going on a few hikes and I started finding drosera around the place so I had a renewed interest after seeing these plants in the wild. I obtained a few easy to grow species and a few vft's. I was able to grow them very well but they ended up disappearing while I was on holidays. I found a fair few drosera growing wild on this holiday though and there were many growing in people's lawns, I obtained around 10 of these plants with permission, they were just considered weeds there.... I believe they are Drosera spatulata, they've been growing very well for me the past year so I bought myself a D. filiformis a few days ago and the growth it is putting on is amazing. I'd like to propagate these plants and hopefully make some trades to boost my collection as the funds are currently lacking!

Regards,
Matt

Welcome to the forums! I don't think we have very many people from Australia on here, its cool to have members from around the world. If you really are afraid of spiders i think you might be living in the wrong country lol. Good Growing!

There is a more local forum however it isn't very active so I opted to come here instead.

I'm actually quite the opposite! I have a small collection if tarantulas, I used to have many more and several other spiders such as trapdoors and a few species of funnel web.

Welcome to TF!

Back