What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone,

I'm Howard. I've been getting back into carnivorous plants after a 3 year gap. I have a Nepenthes (not sure about the species) that I've had for almost 10 years.
Here's a list of plants I have acquired in the last few months:

Aldrovanda vesiculosa
image.jpg

Utricularia gibba
Utricularia inflata
Utricularia sandersonii
DSC_1947_1.jpg

Utricularia geminiscapa
Utricularia graminifolia
Utricularia macrorhiza
mms_20131019.jpg

Utricularia purpurea
Utricularia bisquamata
Utricularia longifolia
DSC_1879.jpg

Utricularia subulata
Drosera (anyone know what it is?)
DSC_1978.jpg

Drosera binata
unknown tropical Drosera (hope someone can identify it)
DSC_1979_1.jpg

Sarracenia x "Dana's Delight"
untitled.png

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty into Utricularia. I just started collecting them recently. Previously I had gibba and vulgaris but I wasn't able to grow them well and they died.
I hope to acquire more species of affixed aquatic Utricularia in particular. Recently, I've been looking around for Utricularia volubilis, biloba, and uliginosa. I'm interested in seeing if any normally terrestrial Utricularia are able to survive permanently submerged. I intend to try it with Utricularia dichotoma and flaccida when I get my hands on some.
I found out about the BACPS recently and attended their last meeting, where I acquired the Sarracenia x "Dana's Delight" and the unknown tropical Drosera. I hope to meet other Utricularia lovers on this forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to tfs. Pretty cool aldro :)

Welcome to TF! And I'd love to do a trade with you someday.

Welcome to TF. Love your pictures.

hi,nice pics ,maybe your unknown drosera could be d.venusta

hi,nice pics ,maybe your unknown drosera could be d.venusta
Thank you for the identification. I was wondering if it was D. spatulata at first but it seems like spatulata has longer and thinner petioles than mine so I wasn't sure. After looking at photos of venusta online, it seems that it is likely what I have, especially given its potential to be red (it was redder when I first got it). I didn't realize that there were more replied at first since there was another thread with the exact same name. Lol.

Also, an update on a few of the plants. Following advice I received, I have transplanted the Utricularia longifolia into pure long-fibered sphagnum. It seems to be drying up even though I'm watering it and keeping it in a glass terrarium with ~100% humidity in the sun. And I may have lost the other unidentified Drosera, because it was growing in the same pot as the longifolia and after I transplanted it I got on an airplane so it was mushed by peat moss in a bag for a day. I've repotted it in peat moss (turns out most of the growing medium of the longifolia was slime mold...) but it's leaves are in pretty bad condition and I think it's in shock because it's not growing.

Greetings and welcome to TerraForums. Hacienda Heights eh? Ever make it to the LACPS meetings in Alhambra? The next on is Dec 21st.

I'm in northern California right now for school. I'm going back home for winter break but I won't be back until the 22nd unfortunately. Hopefully some other time I'll be able to attend. I went to the BACPS meeting in October.

I'd say D. venusta as well. Also, if you want some U. livida, I've got a ton. PM me, if interested.

Back