What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from central Florida

Hey guys, I'm Dave and I'm starting to get into the world of carnivorous plants. After doing some research and some oohing and ahhing at pictures, I decided to get a typical VFT and a D. capensis, along with a bag of peat, pearlite and sphagnum mix.

I'm hoping to grow the little guys outside and utilize their full bug eating potential. I live between a large canal and a fair sized pond, so I don't think humidity will be that big of a deal short of a drought. I've even got a sunny spot on top of a glass patio table picked out on the south side of the house which ought to pink the traps right up.

I know that they will be quite dormant when I will get them. Its that time of year, and I know I'd be if I was in a dark box for a few days without food.

So yeah, can't wait! I'll update this with pics when I get them.

Welcome to TerraForums!

Sounds like a nice start. If you get any more, then you should consider making a mini-bog for them. It's a good way to grow these sorts of carnivores.

Hello ! Welcome to your new addiction :) and of course welcome to Tfs !

Welcome to TerraForums!

Sounds like a nice start. If you get any more, then you should consider making a mini-bog for them. It's a good way to grow these sorts of carnivores.

I might consider that. I would love to do an inground one, but unfortunately I am only renting my place and the landlord hires a yardwork crew to come in every Monday. Maybe something like this, but a bit larger, would do the trick: http://www.instructables.com/id/Bog-Garden-For-Carnivorous-Plants/. I don't want too many, maybe a VFT, a few Drosera, a couple of Pings, some Cephalotuses (Cepheloti?)
and maybe a Sarracenia purpurea. If I get any Napentheses, I'll probably want to give those each their own pot.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hello ! Welcome to your new addiction :) and of course welcome to Tfs !

Merci!

Welcome to TF!

Thanks Jim!

Quick question Does anybody know what the little green sprigs are on the surface on the soil in this pic are?

Opel.Drosera_cuneifolia.JPG

(Not mine, source: http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2009/08/drosera-cuneifo.html)

I've seen a few pics with those little green sprigs growing around the plants. I think it makes the whole thing look neater and tidier, is that live sphagnum? Also, one would think that it would help keep the soil from evaporating so quickly, and it may keep the sun from baking on the soil and scorching the plant. Being a pale man of Irish and Scottish decent I know how brutal the sun is here in the Sunshine State. I might be putting the cart before the horse, but I would like to maybe get some of that going around my plants.

Back