What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

I read this forum for some years and I thought its time to be more active and start with an introduction.

I started with carnivorous plants about 10 years ago. My first plant was a Drosera capensis and from the very first beginning I was fascinated from these glistening sticky plants. Since that I got some few more sundews (my growlist) and in the last lets say 5 years I am more and more interested in tuberous sundews.
About 2 years ago Aaron, who runs the growsundews.com website, ask me, if I want to contribute and so I made and still make the tuberous sundews part of this great website.
In the last year I invested some money in photographic equipment in order to make photos which seems to have more than 4 pixel (I have a really old mobile phone) and slowy they become better and better.
Here is one of my last, the flower of a Drosera andersonia:

attachment.php

In the last years I got many contacts to people who grow carnivorous plants, especially sundews. The very most of them are in Germany and I hope that maybe in the next years I will get much more contacts all over the world.

Thanks and best regards from Berlin

Lutz

Last edited:
Welcome to Terraforums :wave:

I look forward to seeing more pics.

Welcome! Great picture, I am brand new and am expecting an order of several Drosera this week. They are definitely some of my favorite so far.

Welcome to Terraforums! I got my first tuberous sundew a few months ago and your guide has been very helpful in telling me how I should grow it. And your photographs are amazing. I don't think I've seen any better site for growing tuberous sundews.

How do you water your Drosera? Do they sit in water? All of mine die when I water them and come back to life when I keep them dry for a long time.

Lutz,

Thanks for all of your writing about tuberous sundews. I have read everything on growsundews.com from start to finish and I love that site. Great photos too.

Tuberous Drosera are my favorite sundews and particularly difficult to grow where I am because our summers are long, humid, and rainy. I am going to keep plugging away at tuberous Drosera until I get it right. Your info is invaluable. Back in my early attempts your writings didn't exist, but now they will hopefully help me and other growers immensely.

Hi,

thanks for the welcome and for the comments on the website.

@ Pinapple
It is totally up to the species. Some are sitting in water permanently, some only half of the year, some are watered from the top and some from the bottom, some are frozen half a year and others are at tropical temperatures whole the year. If you tell me what species or what group do you mean I maybe can help you.
For some species, which have a dormancy period, it is absolutly normal to come back after a dry period like south african wintergrowing drosera or tuberous drosera.
@ Tanukimo
There is another site which is devoted to tuberous sundews and it is from Dieter. The intention of tuberous sundews @ growsundews.com is more "how to grow" and pictures. Dieters site is more scientific and gives great in depth information. He is a really advanced grower.
@ theplantman
At the beginning it couldt be really difficult, especially if you did not start with the easy species. The summer conditions of the place you are living are more or less unimportant because the tuberous sundews will be under the earth in dormancy. The important thing are the conditions in the winter, when they are growing.

Cheers

Lutz

Oops, sorry for confusing the two. Dieter is also from Germany so I was confused. I have seen your page at Growsundews.com too and it has also been really helpful. It seems like dormancy is the most difficult part of growing tuberous sundews.

Welcome to TF! That's a great photo, I look forward to more. I'm also looking forward to your input on our Drosera subforum, as I have very little experience with tuberous 'dews.

Back