What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yo Yo Yo Portlander Oy Oy Oy

Oy,
My name's Carson, I'm 19, and I've been growing CPs for about 14 years. It got really intense when I found a steady stream of them coming from a local nursery. Naturally I went nuts and haven't been cured since.

I posted on this forum and others as a less mature middle- and high-schooler. I felt it appropriate to renew my identity. I guess anyone who recognizes me from anything I post is free to call me out.

I'm currently on summer break, transferring from Eugene's University of Oregon to the drastically more educationally inclined Portland State University, majoring in something along the line of social work. I'll be doing volunteer work over the summer and into the winter, and I'll also be growing plants along the way.

I like martial arts (taichi, eclectic kungfu), sketching in coffee shops, reading (periodically), teaching, and learning. I also do this weird hobby: I grow carnivorous plants in my sunroom and on my back deck. I used to have a lot more, but ever since I left for college someone forgot to water them. Also, weird Portland snow. So now my collection is 80% smaller. *sigh* I like sundews. We'll talk about it.

I'll be at the ICPS conference with my old Aussie buds in Cairns next month too!

So three cheers for me and see you around,

-Carson Trexler

Last edited:
Welcome Carson!
Portland is a great place to be relocating to. Every month there is a group of us that meet at a local (minor friendly) pub up there to be plant nerds together for a few hours. I live out on the coast, but try to make it up there to the meeting when ever possible. So much knowledge to gleam off the more experienced growers.

Hopefully you find this go around on the forums more pleasant than it sounds like it was in the past. Looking forward to your contributions!

Chris

Hey guys, nice to meet you!
Yes, I've heard about this meeting at the Moon & Sixpence. I'll be at the SNW openhouse along with a few of my friends. Do you all think that the Oregon Carnivorous Plant Society will be at the openhouse? Is it appropriate to say that the OCPS is back online? Because PDX has incredible potential, not to mention market for a society about these plants and for these plants, respectively.
I still have the flyer for the 2002 meet for the OCPS back when Pings were rare and the internet was new and color printers were patrician.

Well, there certainly used to be. It was pretty small, and I went to it's last real meeting. Back in the days of snail-mail, y'know? Did a marvelous presentation on Oaxacan Pinguicula, and that's all I remember.
Apparently it's started back up again with Sarracenia Northwest as it's nucleus, and they meet at a pub in Northeast Portland every so often. I'd say Portland is ripe for it!
It really should be called the Multnomah Carnivorous Plant Society, but Portland is more/less the social capital of Oregon, so OCPS isn't really a misnomer.

Last edited:
I don't think the informal gathering at Moon and Sixpence is anything to do with OCPS, but Mark or Mat could tell you more.

It hasn't been Christened yet!?
I mean look at it! It gets together to talk about plants, it goes on field trips, it meets in PDX, it trades plant material, and it's a broad, welcoming collection of people and a small business. It looks like OCPS revival to me, but I suppose officially it might still be gestating, especially considering Cooks isn't in on it or Carniflora PDX. I'll talk about it with the people I see at the open house in July. I'd be down to help get something official going.

we enjoy our casual get together with to much brew, some good food, and lots of fun conversation. I believe the general consensus is that no one really has any interest in making it anymore than that. I imagine if there was a OCPS, alot of the usuals at the monthly get together would participate, but that is not what the group is really about. Please correct me if I am wrong (mat or mark), but that is the feeling I get.

Hahaha alright. I think I get the gist of the group now.
Not so severely academic or intensive, yet social and good to be around, plus drinks. Lovely!
I'm sure it'll grow though.

we enjoy our casual get together with to much brew, some good food, and lots of fun conversation. I believe the general consensus is that no one really has any interest in making it anymore than that. I imagine if there was a OCPS, alot of the usuals at the monthly get together would participate, but that is not what the group is really about. Please correct me if I am wrong (mat or mark), but that is the feeling I get.

This is way I see it as well. While Sarracenia Northwest is often present and we very much welcome Jacob and Jeff they are not really the organizers. I can't speak for everyone who attends but I always have an excellent time. I am pretty sure that several of the regulars will be at the open house next weekend. That there was actually a OCPS at one time is news to me!

Welcome to TF!

Welcome Apollo and look forward to meeting you at a meet up!
This group sounds like the one Mike Wilder, Jeff D (SNW), Adam M were the founders of. They are all still growing at various different capacities. Mike is on here and runs Bob H's farm and Adam I have spoke with several times about coming to our meets but it never works with his schedule.

Back