What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

In April 2010 I was walking to the top of campus at SFSU and passed by the University green house. They were having a plant sale and I decided to check it out. I ended up purchasing a Sarracenia x readii and had no idea what I was getting myself into or how I  would get swept up with the elegance, efficiency, beauty, and variety of Sarracenia (and CPs in general.)

I kept the plant inside at first, but decided to move it out onto the balcony a few months later. It was not getting a proper amount of sun, nor was I using pure water, though SF's tap water was not too bad.

April 21st, 2010

vQ5E2Kr.jpg

I decided to repot the plant but I had no idea what I was doing! I ended up using normal fertilized soil and I'm surprised I didn't kill my plant. It lived survived like that for a year or so before I repotted it in a peat moss/sand mix prior to a year long study abroad program in Prague.

May 20th, 2011

n8WofLK.jpg

It eventually outgrew that black pot so I moved it to its current home, still not following all of the CP rules as I repotted it quite late (mid spring.)

April 23rd, 2013

MNd1yGm.jpg

Here it is during last years dormancy, January 16th, 2014.

pIS2NQA.jpg

Lo and behold with the proper sized pot, the correct planting medium, distilled water, and plenty of sunlight the plant took off in growth and threw up 11 flowers this year.

May 5th, 2014

AkPBRoW.jpg

And here it is on July 7th, 2014. Simply stunning! The tallest pitchers are 28" with a 1.5" mouth.

FYpJ83t.jpg

As I learned more and more about these plants I had to add some more to the collection. I made a run up to ____ a couple months ago and came home with a good bounty.

Darlingtonia californica
S. flava v. rugelii x v. maxima with bonus D. binata var. dichotoma
Dionaea muscipula
S. minor with a few bonus bladderworts
D. capensis 'wide'
S. leucophylla with more D. binata var. dichotoma and U. bisquamata
D. omissa x pulchella (w/ more U. bisquamata)

QBVqNkP.jpg

I'll post a few pictures of the Sarracenia I got and leave the other pictures for a general photo dump thread I'll make shortly.

S. flava v. rugelii x v. maxima

qaBTlK6.jpg

S. leucophylla

WhYcLUj.jpg

S. minor

W0xFNq5.jpg

And the most recent addition that I picked up from the BACPS show a few months ago.

S. minor var. okefenokeensis (Ware County, GA "unique seedling")

TLTGjhi.jpg

One of the things I absolutely love about the CPs is how they attract so much other life, they form a small ecosystem around them. When you spend enough time staring at your plants, you notice all the little details, good and bad about them. My favorite has been watching the jumping spiders. Their curiosity and apparent intelligence is marvelous.

ToFJ9xW.jpg

Cautiously exploring my pygmy sundew.

yQSHP8l.jpg

And here is the home of the small grey jumping spider. What a perfect location. Protected from the elements, a natural enclosure, and the plant attracts all the food it needs. Pretty nice life!

bwzjENQ.jpg

In addition to photos, I've taken a number of videos of the action around my plants and have a budding (pun intended) Youtube channel if you'd like to check it out.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/BayAreacp[/URL]

Last edited:
hey i'm also another bay area grower, glad to see you here. thanks for all the awesome pics and videos, truly magnificent.

Welcome to Terraforums! Nice pictures.

I went to the SFSU greenhouse last year and was very surprised to see how many carnivores they had! Wish I could have been there for the plant sale. Anyways, welcome to TF :)

Welcome to TerraForums, my man! Feels like I've already seen this pictures somewhere! :D Good to see you on here.

Welcome!

Ramon:grin:

Thanks for the welcome everybody, glad to be here.

Welcome to TF!

another bay area grower here. Welcome!

indeed. welcome. Far west bay grower here :p

True that kulamauiman! You're on the real west coast!

Looks like there's a decent number of Bay Area growers here.

Back