What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from The Sonoran Desert

New mini Akai Ryu parent.

I am interested in other (mini) carnivorous plants that will complement this sub-species in an arrangement and that can handle in the desert. Currently the plant has been on a south windowsill for a week. Plan is to put it outside on an Eastern balcony to receive 4-5 hours of sunlight, now that the Tucson monsoon season is over.

I have a 14" diameter x 18" clay pot with saucer that would be great once Its full of perlite and peat. Cover it with Sphagnum moss?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I'm in Tucson also =) But my plants are in greenhouses.... I did a S. flava once in a water barrel with U. gibba... It did ok, except for the dry season really took a toll on the pitchers. But then again, we have such a long growing season the pitchers don't tend to look wonderful the whole time they are up anyway. Welcome!
Andrew

P5230293.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome!

Thanks. Is there a club in town?

I have planted tanks and would really like to get some Aldrovandra and Utricularia Graminifolia.

I bought some Cape Sundew seeds off of feebay for a bog planting.

No, there isn't. There are really really really few of us. I had U. graminifolia a couple years back, I'd have to check in and see how it's doing/if it's still there. Aldrovandra, I know a guy... so I might be able to check on that for you too. The capensis seeds I definitely could have given yah ;)

Welcome to TF!

Thanks! I did receive some Cape seeds, Aldrovandra, and U. graminifolia (UG) mat today.

Is it best to use only the sphagnum moss to germinate the seeds?

D. capensis will grow on whatever carnivorous plant media you fell like dropping it on :) Give it light and keep it damp and they'll grow for you.
Andrew

Welcome!

Totally off-topic, but: any wild chile pepper plants around you? Sonora is famous for its wild chiltepin...

Cheers,
Marcus

Quick pic of my Drosera capensis babies. 90days old. Seeds from Costa Rica via Feebay.

Sphagnum moss pureed in the blender. I used two waffle house to-go containers. Top had one hole to drain into second. Second one had many flat stones to support the weight. Don't laugh, the clear lid was perfect to maintain humidity until the plants out grew the lid.

Yesterday, transplanted the peat mud pie into a glass 10" floating votive candle dish I got at mikes with 50% coupon. Drain dish, too.

It looks messy because the sand immediately wicked the moisture and the plants have not seen sunlight today to grow vertical. They were nice and straight.

An 1/8" carbide drill bit, some toothpaste, and non-caffeinated patience solved the drainage issue of using glass.

Happy Thanksgiving!

attachment.php

Uhm... I hate to break it to you, but these guys don't look like D. capensis... more like grass...

Uhm... I hate to break it to you, but these guys don't look like D. capensis... more like grass...

When do they form the tentacles?

:( So even though when covered, the condensation collects on their tips they are not Sundews?

I can't see anything in there that resemble Drosera seedlings either.

ever had any tepin? lil suckers are pretty warm. very sweet... almost berry like

Contacted eBay seller. Grrrr. I have been suspicious and wondered how they will catch food without the liquid flypaper.

Just curious ........ Why would you buy seed from something as common as D.capensis from a vendor in Costa Rica ? Seed of this species is given away free in droves on here.

Because I am new. The seeds were $3 shipped.

Would someone like to share narrow red leaf seeds or babies?

Seed seller scolded me on my choice of setup. It was over watered to smoothout the sand. She said they dont sell grass .

The grass likely sprouted from the media.

Back