What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from the country of waffles :)

Hi everyone,

I'm Vivi and I live in Belgium. I'm working on an automated grow box and I'd like to try to grow some carnivorous plants in it to see if it can help growing those fascinating plants at my home :D
As I've never grown any carnivorous plants before, I don't know much about them. Therefore, I'd love to receive your advice on what to start with and how to take care the plants, as well as how to improve my grow box. :) Thanks!

Welcome to TF! Which of the carnivores interests you the most? While there is a world of information, especially particular info, to be had by using the search box above I would also direct you here for more general stuff to help you get started: International Carnivorous Plant Society

Last edited:
Welcome to TF! Which of the carnivores interests you the most? While there is a world of information, especially particular info, to be had by using the search box above I would also direct you here for more general stuff to help you get started: International Carnivorous Plant Society

Thank you! I guess it'd be good to start with a venus flytrap :) I'll check out the website for sure

Flytraps are a great place to start. Much of what they require carries over to other plants in the carnivorous plant world. And they are simply cool.

Welcome to TF! by automated grow box, do you mean hydroponically grown? Do you have a picture that you can post of it? VFT's are temperate climate plants. They experience all 4 seasons, which includes a winter dormancy period. There will be people who will argue otherwise, but they do best, in the long run, when they are receiving their light directly from the sun. Really good artificial lighting doesn't seem to be a hindrance, in the short term, but I think their overall health and longevity is significantly better when grown outside, at least for the growing season.

Having said that, will the grow box be more of a constant climatic environment? What temperatures and humidity will be typical and maintained? Knowing that will be helpful in choosing plants would grow best, with the environment that you provide. For instance, if your grow box will have high temperature, high humidity, you may want to grow what are called Petiolaris Complex sundews... or Asian pitcher plants.... or Utricularia (bladderworts). Knowing what you can provide determines what you can grow most successfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.... that will be 3 Belgian waffles... with vanilla ice cream, whipped topping, sprinkled with almonds & cashews,... and blueberry syrup... :)

Yes indeed, welcome to TF! Please do post pics of your setup! And forget the waffles, how close are you to Abdji Westvleteren?

Welcome to TF! by automated grow box, do you mean hydroponically grown? Do you have a picture that you can post of it? VFT's are temperate climate plants. They experience all 4 seasons, which includes a winter dormancy period. There will be people who will argue otherwise, but they do best, in the long run, when they are receiving their light directly from the sun. Really good artificial lighting doesn't seem to be a hindrance, in the short term, but I think their overall health and longevity is significantly better when grown outside, at least for the growing season.

Having said that, will the grow box be more of a constant climatic environment? What temperatures and humidity will be typical and maintained? Knowing that will be helpful in choosing plants would grow best, with the environment that you provide. For instance, if your grow box will have high temperature, high humidity, you may want to grow what are called Petiolaris Complex sundews... or Asian pitcher plants.... or Utricularia (bladderworts). Knowing what you can provide determines what you can grow most successfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.... that will be 3 Belgian waffles... with vanilla ice cream, whipped topping, sprinkled with almonds & cashews,... and blueberry syrup... :)

Thanks for the advice. That sounds very interesting! I actually want to try something that's a bit 'difficult' to grow in Belgium. :)
I've just post a new thread about my grow box here : http://www.terraforums.com/forums/greenhouses-terrariums-and-bog-gardens/140369-grow-box-monitoring-remote-control-system.html#post1191159
Could you take a look at it and give some of your opinions please? It'd be great to have your point of view.

And where are you located? I'll see if I can send any waffles to you :p

Yes indeed, welcome to TF! Please do post pics of your setup! And forget the waffles, how close are you to Abdji Westvleteren?

Thanks! I see what could possibly interest you there haha. I actually live on the other side of the country :p

Last edited:
I saw the comments about controlling temperature. That would also be important. What we often do in our artificial setups, is not take into consideration the natural day / nigh temperature differential. That and the humidity. Is there a way of affecting changes to temperature and humidity? It depends upon what you like, in terms of plants. If there is enough space, you may want to have some Nepenthes. If you like cute flowers, then Utricularia would be appealing. If you like dewy leaves, then I'd recommend Petiolaris Complex sundews.

I'm from Western New York. I'm guessing that you or your parents may not have originally come from Belgium?

Doh!

Last edited:
Welcome to the community, Vivi!

I saw the comments about controlling temperature. That would also be important. What we often do in our artificial setups, is not take into consideration the natural day / nigh temperature differential. That and the humidity. Is there a way of affecting changes to temperature and humidity? It depends upon what you like, in terms of plants. If there is enough space, you may want to have some Nepenthes. If you like cute flowers, then Utricularia would be appealing. If you like dewy leaves, then I'd recommend Petiolaris Complex sundews.

I'm from Western New York. I'm guessing that you or your parents may not have originally come from Belgium?

Sounds interesting! I'll note of the Utricularia :D

No I don't (It's kinda obvious :p ). I'm originally from Vietnam :)

I would have guessed Malaysia, but oh well. We used to have tenants from Viet Nam. There was a Chinese restaurant in Canada that we visited and our waitress said that she was from Viet Nam. She also said that there were others working there that were also Vietnamese.

Here are some examples from previous years, of Utricularia flowers:

100_8733.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0052-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Picture002-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aww thanks! They look fantastic! Those are plants that you've grown?

Last edited:
Those are indeed from my collection. Utricularia may not be much to look at, in of themselves, but their flowers more than make up for their greenery.

Last edited:
Back