What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes fanatic with Eddie pix!

Hi all!
I have been growing nepenthes species and hybrids for a few years now. I bought a teeny tiny edwardsiana seedling a few years ago about the size of a dime and seed grown. It survived being removed from its pot by a squirrel when outdoors for the summer and dropped a few feet away. It is a tough plant! Currently it is pitchering for me indoors under T5's. It keeps on growing! As soon as I figure out how to post a photo I will share a few. I put one as my avatar. Pitcher is about 3 inches. I also have other cool neps.

Last edited:
What kind of temp drop do you provide for your Eddie? I would love to have one, one day. Thanks.

This guy does fine with a 15 degree drop at night at 60-75% humidity. In summer it even survives the heat outside! It loves the winter very much and does its main growing then.

Do you keep it in a terrarium during winter or does it tolerate the low humidity? Thanks, especially since I don't think you expected to be bombarded with my questions after introducing yourself.

My neps are on one of those mini greenhouse racks in a room where I keep a couple pet macaws. It is a weird room that naturally has a temperature drop in the evenings as it is on the end of the house. My news are in tray ( not standing in water) and this creates good consistent humidity of 60-75% in the room. The birds like it and the plants like it. I also have huperzia mosses. I think the volume of moist sphagnum in all the pots keeps the humidity in a good range. I also have very bright lights that are mixed...6500 and 2700 T5's. I think the key is to finds plants that tolerate your conditions. I could use the plastic cover that comes with those mini greenhouses in a pinch should humidity drop for any reason for longer then a day or two. I cannot keep certain neps. Villosalicious do not thrive for me but so far I have not tried seed grown villosas. Seed grown neps are simple hardier then clones. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. Also, you have SEVERAL pet macaws!? You are one of the luckiest people ever! I hope I get to have one one day, again, thanks.

2 macaws and one special needs Amazon. Got them all 30 years ago. Hand fed two of them. All USA born. Two were rescues. Consider a rescue. So many big birds need homes! Oh and you are quite welcome. Start with some hardy hybrid neps. I have some lowii crosses that produce spectacular pitchers and are super tough.

I already have a ventrata and a ventricosa. I've looked into Lowii crosses before. I'm not looking into getting a bird anytime soon, but I plan to, one day. Until then, I dream of owning a hyacinth. Thanks.

Welcome to TF!

Back