What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member From UK

Hi all,

Recently got into indoor plants; nothing special just a couple of orchids, cacti etc. I want to delve deeper into some more exotic plants and CP's are possible the most intresting to me. I have two main questions though (sorry if they have already been asked) the first being are there any CP's that can grow comfortably on a heated bedroom windowsill? And the second, I plan to get a terrarium setup to provide suitable conditions, what are good beginner CP'sto grow that are from a similair geographic location?

'Ello, mate!

Can you elaborate on just what you mean by "heated windowsill?" Is the sill simply located above a radiator or heat vent? Or is the "sill" in question actually just the top of the heating unit being used as a windowsill?

What direction is the window facing? North windows won't cut it but other directions (assuming the window isn't shaded) will provide enough light for various carnivorous plants.

Welcome to TF!

What direction is the window facing? North windows won't cut it but other directions (assuming the window isn't shaded) will provide enough light for various carnivorous plants.

hi, only just had the time to reply on here. the only window available to me is north facing. As you say the plants won't do well on the window I think the way forward is to get a small terrarium to grow in I'll read through the sub-forum before asking any questions left and make a post in a couple of days.

Thanks for the advice.

'Ello, mate!

Can you elaborate on just what you mean by "heated windowsill?" Is the sill simply located above a radiator or heat vent? Or is the "sill" in question actually just the top of the heating unit being used as a windowsill?

The windowsill is only heated by a radiator running the length of nearly half the window however as nimbulan pointed out as its a north facing window the plants are going to do the best they can in that window.

oh well, means i can get a small terrarium setup :-D

I would avoid a terrarium. There's a lot more things that can go wrong and it tends to be easier to grow a lot of CPs without one. Just set up a grow light such as a T5 fluorescent fixture.

Back