What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New in the carnivorous world

Hi all,

You know how when you visit Ikea you always return with things that weren't on your shopping list? Well a few months ago I went to Ikea and came home with a Venus fly trap.

My ignorance nearly killed it, but with some research I've managed to keep it alive and I was even rewarded with a beautiful white flower.

Somehow I now have 6 different kinds of carnivorous plants in my living room but to be honest I have no idea how to take care of them (apart from keeping them wet and NO TAP WATER) and with winter on the doorstep I could use a little help.

479a541d19cd92b6e78d6e2faa6398ad.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the CP world! You're doing well to have kept the flytrap alive this long but you've certainly got some work ahead of you. The first thing is that the flytrap needs a lot more light. The very wide petioles and small traps is a strong indication of lack of light. The second thing you need to look into is winter dormancy. I don't know how harsh the winters are in The Netherlands (guessing your location based on the Tapatalk message at the bottom of your post) but flytraps do need a winter dormancy and some of your other plants may as well depending on what they are.

About the water - tap water can be safe, but isn't always. If you can get ahold of a water quality report from your water provider it should provide the necessary information to be able to determine if its safe.

Last edited:
Back